copb8

Next Up. New Seat Covers and Foam.

Hello All,  I just finished installing all new carpet and sound deadening. It made a nice difference and has inspired me to keep going so now it's on to the next project. My seats aren't bad at all but the foam is disintegrating and the covers could stand a refresh. Where have you folks found to be the best place to source new seat covers and foam? There was a gentleman on this forum selling a complete refurbished set that would've been perfect but I wasn't bright enough back then to pull the trigger. 

I may try installing these myself however I hear it's a real bear to get them on and looking professional. If that's the case I'll take everything to an upholstery shop and have them do it.

I’ve used the TMI covers now on 5 cars, no issues. Also used their foam. On the last set of foam I bought, got it thru NPD. They had an option for a less expensive foam, which still turned out real nice. I have done three sets of front high back seats, with no issues. Just took my time. The last set I had a guy do it for me, well worth the 400 spent. My hands thanked me, those hog rings can wear them out.  

NOTE / FYI ...

Mach1 original seat covers and earlier reproductions used actual knitted vinyl for the comfortweave centers.   This Knitted Vinyl is no longer available, so all the reproductions use an embossed vinyl instead of the actual knitted stuff.   

I've got early repro seat covers in mine (from mid 80's) that are correct so when I rebuilt my seats a couple of years ago with new foam & spring sets, I re-used my slightly worn but still in great shape upholstery in order to maintain the correct comfortweave material.

So if you still have the correct knitted vinyl in yours and at least the comfortweave is in really good shape you may want to see if an upholstery shop can salvage / re-use your comfortweave to make new seat covers.

Before you commit to TMI or another repro seat cover set, have them send you a sample of the embossed comfortweave material ... especially if you have the real stuff in the car now.

Doug

4 hours ago, rr03cobra said:

I used the TMI with a newer design. So far I'm very happy with them

IMG_7776[1].JPG

IMG_7775[1].JPG

Those seats look like a huge improvement in comfort over the stock seats. Are they? 

I'd have to come to grips with going away from the original stock look but those look tempting.

3 hours ago, stangs-R-me said:

NOTE / FYI ...

Mach1 original seat covers and earlier reproductions used actual knitted vinyl for the comfortweave centers.   This Knitted Vinyl is no longer available, so all the reproductions use an embossed vinyl instead of the actual knitted stuff.   

I've got early repro seat covers in mine (from mid 80's) that are correct so when I rebuilt my seats a couple of years ago with new foam & spring sets, I re-used my slightly worn but still in great shape upholstery in order to maintain the correct comfortweave material.

So if you still have the correct knitted vinyl in yours and at least the comfortweave is in really good shape you may want to see if an upholstery shop can salvage / re-use your comfortweave to make new seat covers.

Before you commit to TMI or another repro seat cover set, have them send you a sample of the embossed comfortweave material ... especially if you have the real stuff in the car now.

Doug

You know, now that you mention it, I wonder if my original covers are good and just my foam is bad. My biggest issue is that the foam is disintegrating and leaving 'dust' residue on the rear floor board. I need to really go inspect those seats closely and maybe just buy the foam and have an upholstery shop redo the originals.

A bit late to the convo, but I have the same seats as rr03cobra. They are comfortable and better lateral support. They do feel taller to me - my head now touches the headliner. I shaved the seat stops to lean back a bit more.  @rr03cobra, Nice job on yours btw - wrinkle free!  I could not get all of the wrinkles out of mine.

@copb8, TMI also has some "in the middle" - still looking like stock Mach sets but with about half as much extra bolstering. I think they are called Sport? As opposed to the Sport-R above. CJ and others carry them.