Sign in to follow this  
wally a

steering gear indexing

My 69 Mustang has an issue that i can't put a handle on...starting with the tie rods.. the toe in adjustment is right on , but the adjustment

sleeve are not the same or even close right side to left side of tie rods.If i adjust them equal, of course my steering wheel would be out of correct

normal position and would index my turn signal cam out of position....where do i make my correction. could my rag joint  be the issue and could 

re -index it  if it's possible, or could it be corrected at the steering wheel so my cancel cam for the turn signals would work correctly.. would be nice to 

know what's the issue.....right now, the steering wheel is on center, the turn signals work fine and the car drives good....just them damn tie rod adjusters are

way off.... this is a no hit , never repaired or damaged 69, obviously the previous owner just assembled it wrong.......stumped

There is a notch on the spline on the top of the steering box stub shaft ,it runs down the side of the stub shaft  and a notch inside the metal end that attaches to the box ,this must line up ,that will make the notch at the top of the steering shaft in the proper location ,it either points straight down or straight up i cant remember .this will center the drag link the wrag joint bolts together ,you will notice one locator pin is larger than the other ,the metal end it bolts to also has two different size holes ,simply align the small pin with the smaller opening and the larger pin with the larger opening 

once that is done and the adjusters for the tie rods are about equal , can you index the steering wheel so the canceling cam for the turn signals

will work properly, or are you limited for how many degrees  you have to  place the steering wheel in its correct position.  thanks for your input.