Sign in to follow this  
wally a

Sun Tach install

Wanting to install a steering column mounted Sun Tach , issue is finding the right 12 volt power source under dash.

read some blog about using the green/red strip out of the ignition switch would be ok... i am not a wiring expert ,so

before making the wrong move would appreciate additional input.... thanks for your time.

There should be a 3-way female bullet connector under there with a yellow jacket. It can be used for auxillary equipment. But I doubt a tach can get a reading from it, but it can power the lights in the instrument.

4 minutes ago, fvike said:

There should be a 3-way female bullet connector under there with a yellow jacket. It can be used for auxillary equipment. But I doubt a tach can get a reading from it, but it can power the lights in the instrument.

you are correct with the yellow connector, but the light is not the issue, thanks for your time

Here are two links you can read. If your car didn't come with a tach, you don't have an tach output, and need to make it:

http://www.boss302.com/tach.htm

This was done to my old harness, which is out of the car now, so let me know if you need any pictures. Also if you get an MSD or FAST ignition box or equalent, they will have tach outputs.

Sun Tach discussion on Stangnet:

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/tach-wiring-questions.512040/?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=pmd_IM8ZpAXhSH3qaefKE7xy48PrEtLEgEmBK0rYRBu2QVM-1632508608-0-gqNtZGzNAlCjcnBszQjl

Sun tach is hooked up, i just do not wish to run the +12 volt to the battery, want to tap into the right wire under dash, that is the issue

back of the ignition switch is a blank marked PO next to it another connector marked PO this one has has a red with black tracer.

dumb ? what does the PO stand for, not into this wiring stuff just trying to find the 12 volts i need for the sun tach.

PO is "Prove Out" which is a systems test. It's when the key is turned to the left from center. I don't know if that connector is live when ignition is on. @Midlife would know.

Edit: I don't see why you cant use the yellow connector under the  dash. I said light just as an example. It can be used for anything. I's just a 12v source.

The accessory 3 prong plug mentioned above was an option, so it might not exist on Wally A's car.  I think what he is looking for is a RUN-only line that he can just plug into.  There is no such thing on a 69 or 70.  You'll need to find a green/red wire coming from the ignition plug and tap into that, or find the ACC 3 prong plug fuse buss extender.  I just got 3 of them in stock.