StrixVaria

1969 Mustang Coupe Trunk Deck

Hey everyone I have a 1969 Mustang Coupe that I am wanting to do some modifications to. I really like the trunk deck and fender extensions on the 1969 gt350 convertibles. Would a trunk deck from a 1969 gt convertible bolt up to a 1969 coupe or would it take extensive surgery? thanks for any help. 

Whoa now there Strix, not so fast. Welcome to the forum Mustang brother. Tell us a bit about yourself and your Stang. Ya know, the regular interrogation. Age, where ya live, how long you've owned your 69, what you've done to it, any future mods...Ya, pretty much everything. Oh, and pictures. We love pics. 

Now are you talking about the stock mustang deck lid or the fiberglass Shelby 350 deck lid ? They will still bolt on but you will also have to do the shelby tail panel . The metal tail panel has to be cut out to use the fiberglass over lay panel .

But like i said , factory 69 coupe and convertible deck lid and end caps are the same ...70 however has a mid year change to the end caps only that will not work on a 69 ,the deck lid is the same as a 69 

You can have the Shelby trunk and end caps with the stock tail panel. You have to do some filling on the undersides of the end caps. I and a few others on the forum have done it. I can dig some photos up if you need.

Oh, Welcome to the forum

I am not saying that you cant make it work but the end caps and trunk lid are made to work with the shelby over lay tail panel . The shelby over lay is close to flat while the 69 tail panel is dished so that will have to be glassed in . Without the overlay panel there is also a gap at the top of the end caps and the trunk lid ,with out the over lay the trunk lid over hangs the 69 tail panel by at least 1 3/8 inch ,it also overhangs on the shelby overlay but parts fit up a bit different so it isnt quite as noticable. If you can work with fiberglass it would not be a big deal but not much you can do with the trunk lid over hanging the metal panel . 

20210925_141216.jpg

20210925_141512.jpg

20210925_141957.jpg

20210925_142002.jpg

12 hours ago, StrixVaria said:

@Ridge Runner Does the over lay tail panel replace the stock tail panel? or does it mount over it? im not too sure how that works. Im not opposed to switching from a stock 1969 tail panel. 

It mounts over the metal panel ,but the center of the metal panel has to be cut out