jjstang

More wiring and ac questions

Thanks to helping me through this wiring project. 

Im still looking some help/ideas. I mounted the aaw fuse box as the instructions, said, top left on the firewall. Now I can’t find a spot to mount the relay block that allows access later. The wires are only long enough to go somewhere left of the steering column. 

Evidently classic auto air has made some changes. The instructions appears outdated. There is a relay for the compressor which requires a separate power feed, not the problem. The problem, The only logical place to mount the ecu is on the ac box behind the glove box. Some of the wires from the ecu to the servos are not long enough to go anywhere else. I’ve seen pictures on the net like that. I checked with classic auto air and they said not to put any screws into the air box, made sense, that’s why I checked. So that leaves double stick tape or glue. What did you do. Thanks again. 

I made a bracket and mounted the relays above the steering column.  I had to cut the cable ties off to get the slack to move them there. But I'm adding a lot of additional wiring so they had to come off anyway.

Vic fridge is also doing a lot of custom wring changes. Infact I made a riff of his spreadsheet to track my circuit changes.

I'm not sure on the AC. I went with vintage air mostly because Dakota digital has a climate control upgrade for their system.

IMG_20210710_113855042.jpg

IMG_20210710_113912755.jpg

IMG_20210710_122650093.jpg

Can you actually get to the relays if needed??  I thought of making some brackets but to squeeze it in on the firewall for access. Just hopping there was a obvious solution I didn’t think of.  Thanks for the suggestion 

I can, it may take a bit to remove the gauge cluster. I have connectors on the gauge cluster so it will come out easy.  Get good quality relays that are a bit oversized for current load and you will not have to worry about them.

The ones included in the AAW harness are good ones.

On 9/23/2021 at 1:46 AM, jjstang said:

Can you actually get to the relays if needed??  I thought of making some brackets but to squeeze it in on the firewall for access. Just hopping there was a obvious solution I didn’t think of.  Thanks for the suggestion 

If you are mounting your relays somewhere in the engine compartment, I would suggest using a relay box with fuse slots, or use weather proof relays. Here is what I did....

20200906_142339.thumb.jpg.0b1c1fee380a2189b32f7ecf08517ece.jpg20200906_162807.thumb.jpg.9f62e61f8c6ffeaf1de8e83d60c7ba72.jpg

If you're going with that type of box and buying it off Amazon, order new connectors. I have one of those I plan to use and the connectors they come with are crap. The retention strength will not hold up to automotive vibration. If you want those let me know I can look up the part number for the connectors that I used. You can order from mouser or digi-key.