stang32

looking for suspension/steering options

hey Gys, im new here but old to the hobby. i have a 68 that i am bringing back from the dead and was planning on doing a mustang II set up but  now i am concerned about ride comfort. i wan this to be a nice comfortable special day ride tht my wife wont be annoyed driving in. we/I already have an audi convertible as a special occasion car and if the mustang is to take its place, then i need to make it as comfy as possible. 

what have you others done  with your cars?  i remember back about 10 years ago there was option for using a catera power steering box and if i wer to do that, i need advice on the suspension side. also thinking about a R&P set up but if i do not do the Mustangii IFS then i am dealing with putting the rack behind the crossmember with a ridiculous steering nuckle geometry.  so i am looking for others who have come up with answers to these issues. 

much appreciated  

I have a '68 coupe that was manual steering and I installed a Borgeson power steering kit.  I am happy with it, but there are a lot of opinions about this, so check with others before you make a decision.  I kept the original suspension, and just bolted the GM style power steering pump on.  One bit of advice would be to get the longer six-cylinder hoses.  Especially if you have headers, you will have to heat wrap the power steering lines.  But, works great for me.  On my 1970, did the same thing, but installed my power steering lines in the fenderwells... that was a project.  Good luck.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:51 PM, stang32 said:

hey Gys, im new here but old to the hobby. i have a 68 that i am bringing back from the dead and was planning on doing a mustang II set up but  now i am concerned about ride comfort. i wan this to be a nice comfortable special day ride tht my wife wont be annoyed driving in. we/I already have an audi convertible as a special occasion car and if the mustang is to take its place, then i need to make it as comfy as possible. 

what have you others done  with your cars?  i remember back about 10 years ago there was option for using a catera power steering box and if i wer to do that, i need advice on the suspension side. also thinking about a R&P set up but if i do not do the Mustangii IFS then i am dealing with putting the rack behind the crossmember with a ridiculous steering nuckle geometry.  so i am looking for others who have come up with answers to these issues. 

much appreciated  

ugh, I despise the mustang II suspension. that kit was meant to just eliminate the shocks tower to place a wider/bigger motor but when it came to drivability, the suspension is severely out dated and dangerous. some ppl have them with their coyote swaps here in norcal but they never liked how well it handled the road. 

However, you have multiple options now when it comes to upgrading suspension, but it all depends on what your budget is. 

Street or Track Coil overs - I have front coil over kit, and love it! I highly recommend giving Shaun a call and he can't work out something with you.

Open Tracker - Utilizes the stock suspension but modified with roller bearings for better suspension travel. 

Detroit Speed, Mustangs to fear use the corvette style suspension kit, a little pricey, but you have alot of wiggle room if you decided to go modular/ls/BB or stick with engine you have now. 

TCP, Global West or Mike Maier or Maier racing would be my other suggestions. 

I'd vote for Opentracker for quality and to save your wallet a bit. I've seen his parts in person, and they're too quality. He's also a great guy. Street or Track is also top quality but might expensive. Lots of folks swear by the Bilstine shocks. I'm used a stock rebuilt manual box which I love, so I can't help you on power steering. 

On 9/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, Vicfreg said:

I have a '68 coupe that was manual steering and I installed a Borgeson power steering kit.  I am happy with it, but there are a lot of opinions about this, so check with others before you make a decision.  I kept the original suspension, and just bolted the GM style power steering pump on.  One bit of advice would be to get the longer six-cylinder hoses.  Especially if you have headers, you will have to heat wrap the power steering lines.  But, works great for me.  On my 1970, did the same thing, but installed my power steering lines in the fenderwells... that was a project.  Good luck.

69 351w. Borgeson kit. I started with the kit hoses, way too short. Got the six cylinder  hoses, still too short and still too close to the stock exhaust manifold. I finally bought a steel braded hose from Summit and ran the pressure hose down under the frame and back up to the box, perfect. I ran the return hose over the shock tower. Now no hoses next to the manifold and much better plug wire clearance.