lalojamesliz

Girdle question

On 9/21/2021 at 3:34 PM, rwcstang said:

lmao 

@lalojamesliz what was your question?

if girdles are good to have on an engine?

I was just debating if I should get one for my 69 block 408w.  

I read some stuff on cap walking and got worried.  I won't go past 6500 I was told it will be close to 600 with all my parts but I'll see. 

I even considered selling my brand new shortblock and getting a 408w with a dart shp block from Fordstrokers but I'll rather use it and see how long it lasts instead of taking a loss.  I have a decent block, decent neutral rotating assembly and a decent builder.  I just worry too much

I saw some people get lucky and some don't with or without girdles

16 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

I was just debating if I should get one for my 69 block 408w.  

I read some stuff on cap walking and got worried.  I won't go past 6500 I was told it will be close to 600 with all my parts but I'll see. 

I even considered selling my brand new shortblock and getting a 408w with a dart shp block from Fordstrokers but I'll rather use it and see how long it lasts instead of taking a loss.  I have a decent block, decent neutral rotating assembly and a decent builder.  I just worry too much

I saw some people get lucky and some don't with or without girdles

I had a girdle on my 393w, no issues so I plan to trasnfer it with the 408w as im still using the existing block, since Dart blocks are hard to come by. 

some say they don't do anything, and of course if the caps walk and everything goes, nothing you can really do about it, this would only make sense if you are racing it every weekend. Im sure others can chime in as some are race theirs cars so they can probably talk more about it but so far in every forums and every engine builder I've talk to, its always 50/50.  

If you going use it for daily use/spirited driving, I highly doubt our stock blocks will blow unless you are really driving it hard. 

On 9/24/2021 at 8:48 AM, rwcstang said:

I had a girdle on my 393w, no issues so I plan to trasnfer it with the 408w as im still using the existing block, since Dart blocks are hard to come by. 

some say they don't do anything, and of course if the caps walk and everything goes, nothing you can really do about it, this would only make sense if you are racing it every weekend. Im sure others can chime in as some are race theirs cars so they can probably talk more about it but so far in every forums and every engine builder I've talk to, its always 50/50.  

If you going use it for daily use/spirited driving, I highly doubt our stock blocks will blow unless you are really driving it hard. 

Dart blocks are hard to come by?  I was ready to order one from summit for 2600 but then held off..... 

If I had a buyer for my current 408w shortblock I would have ordered a built shortblock with the dart block. 

I drive very sprinted now BUT that's with a 270hp V6 that gets decent gas mileage.  

I'll be more than doubling that power with the 408w so I don't know how hard I'll be pushing it.  I would need to get comfortable driving it too before I really push it..

I just don't want to worry about that since I plan to go to a autocross track eventually on rare occasions since it's definitely not cheap. Fuel, new tires,  brake pads, helmet and other safety stuff. But that should only be the 1st time I'd imagine. 

I still have plenty to do before I have to install my engine so if I find a buyer then I'll have another built with a dart block. I haven't told anyone about selling my shortblock but if I did list it and got a good offer I'd definitely upgrade.