bigmal

Shelby Drop questions.......again

Gas shocks are the way to go.  I have used KYB and Bilstein's.  Some of the original Shelby cars used Koni shocks.

You are so lucky with the oil getting in your eyes with no adverse effects.  I always wear safety glasses when working on the car.  

On 10/29/2021 at 9:23 AM, RPM said:

Holy crap. Outstanding that they gave you $250 for your troubles. 

Was contacted by Gabriel today. They seemed genuinely concerned about what happened. Sending me a goody basket. I hoope it's beer and not more shocks!

On 10/29/2021 at 9:32 AM, Vicfreg said:

Gas shocks are the way to go.  I have used KYB and Bilstein's.  Some of the original Shelby cars used Koni shocks.

You are so lucky with the oil getting in your eyes with no adverse effects.  I always wear safety glasses when working on the car.  

I've gone with Pedders Gas shocks and there is a huge difference. I was waring glasses (only so I can see) and the oil went strait around them. Luckily it didn't seem to do any damage.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:17 PM, bigmal said:

Well I completed the Shelby drop and I'm very happy with the outcome. Big improvement in handling and just a poofteenth lower. It was really quite a simple job.

As some background, I rebuilt the front end 5 years ago and replaced everything. After about a year it developed a clunk over bumps which I couldn't locate. This prompted me to do the drop and have a good look for the source of the clunk. It became obvous very quickly. One of the new Scott Drake shocks had failed leaking fluid over the rubbers which destroyed them leaving them metal to metal. As annoyed as I was that new shocks failed I was happy to find my problem.

I bought a new set of Gabriel shocks thinking they were a reasonable brand. As I took one out of the box it wasn't fully extended. As I moved it, it shot the centre out exploding oil everywhere. It filled my eyes, covered everything including the ceiling, cars and colectables. After I realised my eyes didn't hurt, I cleaned myself up and everything else. I complained to the vendor and recieved a full refund and $250 for my trouble. I have since bought Pedders shocks and I'm very happy with them. FYI, I now know Grabiel are cheap Chinese crap and I'll never go near them again.

unnamed.jpg

I didn’t even know that pedders sold shocks for our mustangs Mal. That’s good to know. My front springs are pedders and it rides nice. 
I did the shelby drop many years ago and it made a big difference. I just wish I had have welded the plates into the shock towers . Oh well next time .