kevin31

Tach issue

Hello everyone,

Here is my issue.

I left the car sited for almost 1 year and half (I built my house). When the times came to move the car to my garage, no problem to ignite it. I moved it here, the car worked well, but i found out the tachometer needle moved only to 500rpm position. Good repsonse with the car throttle, it ran great on the road.

What could be the problem? or what kind of troobleshoot i can do to investigate? 

thks for your help :)

My car doesn't have a tachometer so I've never had the opportunity to look at the circuit. Is your's original equipment or aftermarket? 

Rocketman is one of the shops that repairs classic car instruments. It appears that he converts it from the original current sensing device to voltage sensing:

Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations

I wonder if in a year+ of sitting, some spider or bug got into it?  You might take it apart and see if it spins freely?  A single drop of oil in the right place could fix it.  But that means taking it all apart. 

Well...no big news here. 

I have taken apart the tach..And I saw nothing special. Cleanned everything.

Put it back in the car. Started again and same story. The needle do not go higher than 400/500 RPM.

What could be the problem? :-/

Thanks for your help

I'm in the same boat only my spins up to 3K then stops. Makes me wonder if it's at all accurate getting there as well. This will be a winter project for me. I heard Bob's Speedometer is supposed to be good and the best part is that he's within driving distance. Just waiting for the season to end before pulling everything apart.

https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/

1 hour ago, Past Time said:

I'm in the same boat only my spins up to 3K then stops. Makes me wonder if it's at all accurate getting there as well. This will be a winter project for me. I heard Bob's Speedometer is supposed to be good and the best part is that he's within driving distance. Just waiting for the season to end before pulling everything apart.

https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/

Past Time, just out of curiosity have you modified your ignition system so the coil is running at 12v instead of through the pink resistor wire? That will cause the tach to read high.