Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

Shock tower notching question

I'm going to be installing a 428 in my 69 Mach I and I planed on doing the Shelby drop. My understanding is that life will be much better if the towers are notched. Can the notch and the drop be done together? Any gotchas? Non issue? And yes I'll be using headers.

Yes you can notch the towers after doing the Shelby drop. There is a limit to how far down and into the tower you can cut, as the upper control arm and spring are in that area. 

2 hours ago, ksquared said:

Didn't know about RRS. Only kit I'm currently aware of is from Gateway Mustang. I'm open to suggestions. Was just concerned that the locations for the Shelby drop are altered.

It says in the description at Gateway Mustang that the stock mounting points for the upper control arm are removed and the kit works with only their suspension.  Since the control arm drop you are considering is only 1", my thought is the Gateway Mustang kit will not work.

When they were modifying 1969 Mustangs for the Boss 429, the shock towers were notched for needed clearance. But, they also modified (shortened) the upper control arms.

The RRS kit would be designed to work with there coil over strut and rack and pinion kits. There would be no provision for a upper control arm in RRS notch kit. A strut tower kit for Boss 429 is probably what you need to look for.