Flanders

I started smoking

Well, at least my car has started smoking.

-when cruising on hwy, if I take foot off the gas, I see some light colored smoke in my rearview mirror.

-when I rev the engine under an overpass/bridge, I see some light colored smoke in my rearview mirror (can't tell if smoke is when rev's are going up, or down).

I don't have the PCV connected to my intake, so this might be part of the problem.  I have engine bay smoke when I rev the engine as well.  It doesn't have the black overly-rich smell/look to it, which I used to have when I was carbureted (now I'm EFI'd).  

Can I get some advice on narrowing down what the issue is?  I have not run a compression test, so not sure if it's my piston rings.  I thought valve seals were typically shot when I'd see smoke upon startup (but I don't see any excessive smoke on startup).  Help would be appreciated!

Check your PVC Valve, may be a good time to connect it to the manifold, also a catch can woudn't hurt either. You can also check your spark plugs for fouling, and check your valve cover bolts they may be lose or check valve cover gasket, if its cork, they are prone to leaking on to the exhaust manifold/header. 

I had something like this happen to me twice, my avenger (offshore heads) had bad valve seals and guides failed. which pretty much snow balled into just building a 408w with good brand parts. 

Good Luck! 

Thanks guys for the replies!

I'll get my PCV hooked up properly.  As it turns out, the PCV I've been using for the past 8 years had a blob of RTV in it, effectively rendering it useless (thanks, previous owner!).   This might explain a lot of the smelly issues, and constantly leaking rear main seal.  I didn't notice until just a few weeks ago, while I was swapping hoses around and cleaning things out.