Her69fastback

Champion Radiator

I’m looking at Champion Radiator. The big one 24 inch core. The 2 row is 2  1 inch rows that is 2 1/4 thick said it will cool up to 600 horse power. The 3 row is the same thickness 2 1/4 put doesn’t tell how big the rows are. It said it will cool up to 700 horse power. How can it cool more if all the dimensions are all the same? I’m I missing something. 

not sure if this is the answer you are looking for: https://www.dewitts.com/blogs/news/14141757-are-three-row-aluminum-radiators-better-than-two

more rows meant more surface area in contact with the fin and consequently a higher heat rejection. So a 3 row was better than a two row and so on. 

When aluminum radiators came around the rules changed. Cooling engineers concluded that by lowering the fin height you could stack more layers of tubes. In addition, using wider tubes would increase the tube-to-fin contact area. The end result was a very high performance radiator with a huge savings in weight.

3row_large_2x_4ba97d70-e0e9-4f34-9c39-ec

Keep in mind, switching to electric fans often leads to upgrading the charging system and associated wiring.

In my Mach 1, 351W car I use Griffin 24" wide radiator, it has 2 rows of 1-1/4" wide tubes.  OEM fan shroud and an OEM 6 blade 17" clutch fan setup.  Seems fine, runs about 170-175 degrees with a 160 degree Stewart high flow thermostat.  Griffin is expensive, but, when I needed one many years ago they were the only mfg. offering a direct fit aluminum radiator.  Today I would look for something less expensive.

1 hour ago, Her69fastback said:

Griffin’s are $800.00 for a 24 inch for the car. 

Yeah, in today's market I'd go with something less expensive.  Like I mentioned, when I needed one, Griffin was the only mfg. offering a direct fit aluminum radiator.  Plus, the cost was much less back then.

My car came with a factory 20in radiator in it. How hard is it to put a 24in radiator in this car. It’s a 302 car. I’m thinking bigger radiator now so when I decide to build the motor. The cooling will be done. I read what rwcstang posted. I’m still a little confused. So is a 2 row with 1inch core radiator cool better then a 3 row radiator?

On 8/19/2021 at 11:13 AM, 1969_Mach1 said:

Number of tube rows and cooling capacity is debatable.  You'll notice the higher end aluminum radiators typically have two rows of 1" or 1-1/4" wide tubes.  The lower cost radiators typically have 3 or more rows of smaller width tubes.

US Radiator has some information on different core types.  Cores | US Radiator

I used the US radiator with 2 rows of 1 1/4 tubes and dual electric fans. I was always impressed with how cool it ran with A/C running in SC heat. I sold the car to a guy in Bakersfield Cal. a few years ago and we have always talked back and forth and he too has made the same comment. 

10 hours ago, det0326 said:

I used the US radiator with 2 rows of 1 1/4 tubes and dual electric fans. I was always impressed with how cool it ran with A/C running in SC heat. I sold the car to a guy in Bakersfield Cal. a few years ago and we have always talked back and forth and he too has made the same comment. 

Bakersfield huh? Do you remember what engine/power estimate did it have with that radiator? 

I just have the base 20" radiator for my 351W.  Al heads and about 10.5:1 compression.  Last night I did the Dream Cruise traffic jam with temps around 88 deg.  Stop and go for an hour and the temp was above mid point but held there.  I was impressed it didn't react worse.  I was considering the 3 row but so far happy with this.  Although I'm not sure I would go there today for the actual Dream Cruise due to the heat.   

On 8/20/2021 at 9:46 PM, lalojamesliz said:

Bakersfield huh? Do you remember what engine/power estimate did it have with that radiator? 

sorry for delay sister had some medical problems and been helping her out. 

Never had the engine on a dyno or anything but on paper it was around 400HP

351W FiTech EFI