Mach1 Driver

How Alternators Work

Rev 3 of How alternators work

Edit, I finally replaced my old defunct analog scope with a new, much cheaper, much better digital storage oscilloscope. These things have changed dramatically with the advent of digital circuitry. They can store the waveform, take the measurements and display them, do math on them (like taking the mean) and scads of other really neat features.

So I was curious what the wave looked like at our alternator’s neutral stator terminal. Turns out it’s a pretty wicked sawtooth. So now I can dispel any mystery as to how to hook-up a choke heater to the stator. I’ve also added a page on the “Radio Noise Suppression Condenser”.

Edit, this site has been down for "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" many times, so I have added a method to view the schematics and other technical documents: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10FqYlsGT1XXr8B5TCF9WAASkU4vdPtuJ?usp=sharing

How Alternators work3.docx

Nice article, well done!

One comment on the oscilloscope section.  Yours has a "mean" value.  On some scopes, the mean is calculated based on the cycles (average value of the number of points displayed) that are displayed on the screen.  You have about 2-1/2 cycles shown on the screen.  Some scopes have what is called a "cycle mean" which give you the true value for one cycle.   Would be interesting to see if your scope has that, and if so, how the mean and cycle mean compare.