EastYorkStang

My headlights have a haze

Upgraded to Bosch H4 glass headlights a while ago. Noticed they have a whitish haze inside them. Similar to what happens to modern plastic headlights. 

Happen to anyone else ? Any tips on how get rid of the haze ?

Thanks !

On 8/6/2021 at 7:28 PM, EastYorkStang said:

Upgraded to Bosch H4 glass headlights a while ago. Noticed they have a whitish haze inside them. Similar to what happens to modern plastic headlights. 

Happen to anyone else ? Any tips on how get rid of the haze ?

Thanks !

Late response but better late than never.

On newer headlights it's the clearcoat failing on the lense and making the yellowing/haze. If they haze on the inside then the lights are leaking water in and that's causing the internal hazing 

have had this on other cars.  What I did was put the headlights in the oven @ 200 degrees for about 10 minutes and separated the lens from the housing.  

If your lucky it will have butyl sealant and the lense will easily separate. If your not lucky they will have something spawned from the depths of HELL called permaseal.

I used to do HID retrofits for my cars and friends cars. I've opened many headlights and the only permaseal headlights I ever wanted to do were ones on one of my cars. 

While you open them carefully avoid getting any of the sealant on the mirror side of the housing.

soak your hands in warm water or give the little lady a break and wash some dishes to soften your hands. Fill a clean bucket with warm soapy dishwater like dawn and clean the lense and with VERY light pressure clean the mirror finish if you want. I usually make sure my hands are super clean and softened with warm/hot water then use my fingers to clean the surface

Rinse off then use distilled water for a final rinse. Use the corners of a dry paper towel to lift off any water drops.

Most of the time you can just reheat the lense and housing at the same temp/time and close it back up. If not just buy some butyl sealant.