rr03cobra

header fitment help needed

sorry guys I know this has been beaten to death but I need to purchase asap. I have a 69 sportsroof 351W/4 speed that I have installed Unisteer rack and pinion on. I took off the old headers and my new headers didn't fit with the shock towers (too wide at connection flange).  should have measured them instead of taking someones word.  lol. anyways, these are the old ones. Does anyone recognize these or can someone recommend some that have a 3" width (tape measure is at an angle) that will work with Unisteer?  Called Sanderson Headers but the guy wasn't quite sure if they would fit without adding another knuckle. 

IMG_7498[1].JPG

IMG_7496[1].JPG

Couple of questions for you: 

• What size diameters of those headers are those in the picture? 1 5/8 or 1 3/4?
  • if you do not know the brand, get metal brush or something to scrub the flanges there may be a part number stamped on this will help you id in Summit or google if its ment for your application. 

Maybe not a requirement, but what are you current mods with the engine? 

from the looks of those pictures, it may be 1 5/8 header (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-88308/make/ford/model/mustang/year/1969) maybe 1 3/4? 1 5/8 will fit like a glove on my 393w, you can also try http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/headers2.htm roughly 1k+ but there is a delay and he is working on a backlog of orders.

Almost all owners on here use FPA or some other brand headman, JBA and Hooker headers. I use the original steering but there are some owners with unisteer that can help with your issue. 

• they are 1 5/8"
  • The only thing stamped on them is a 48. I need to research that

So far it is a stock motor but I'm going to stroke it to a 408. I was replacing the headers now because the original exhaust was cut out (rust) and I replaced it with magnaflow. 

I appreciate the help and hopefully someone else with Unisteer will chime in.  Whats your thoughts on a y header?

On 8/6/2021 at 7:39 AM, rr03cobra said:
  • they are 1 5/8"
  • The only thing stamped on them is a 48. I need to research that

So far it is a stock motor but I'm going to stroke it to a 408. I was replacing the headers now because the original exhaust was cut out (rust) and I replaced it with magnaflow. 

I appreciate the help and hopefully someone else with Unisteer will chime in.  Whats your thoughts on a y header?

what are you HP Goals for your 408w? if under 450hp, I think the 1 5/8 will be fine. Anything above that, you may need to go bigger, your biggest restrictors will be 1 5/8 header and intake (if you stick with a stock or  performer intake), a airgap or torker might be better but may require you to run a cowl hood.

I never tried tri-ys, Ive read tri-ys traditionally give you nice power but sacrifice on top end rpm. this is an old school type header so Im not too sure about flow.  

Im getting a 408w built too, after my old avenger heads decided to fail on my 393w, again..lol. I was out putting 365rwhp 400rwtq with tko600/3:50 gears. I was running 1 5/8 headman headers and a stealth weind instake. it was great for street use! but since Im going with more power 470-500hp, I need to upgrade the headers to 1 3/4. I decided to go with FPA and they are making me a stepped header 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 and possibly port out my stealth intake. 

Rwcstang-looking to get 500hp NA. I live in Denver so that may be tough since there not much air here. I’m trying to piece the car together and then I’ll do the motor then the paint. Forgot how much work these old cars take. Lol. I’ll look into FPA stepped headers so I’ll get as much info from them that I can. I appreciate all the help. 

Thanks Kyle T- how much hp are you making?

LOL, only just over 400.  It was a tremendous amount for a 351W when I built the motor in the mid 80's but it just seems pitiful these days.  I'm looking to move up to a streetable 427W in the near future so I won't have to be embarrassed when I get the same question.   :-)  

Kyle T

On 8/5/2021 at 5:56 PM, rr03cobra said:

sorry guys I know this has been beaten to death but I need to purchase asap. I have a 69 sportsroof 351W/4 speed that I have installed Unisteer rack and pinion on. I took off the old headers and my new headers didn't fit with the shock towers (too wide at connection flange).  should have measured them instead of taking someones word.  lol. anyways, these are the old ones. Does anyone recognize these or can someone recommend some that have a 3" width (tape measure is at an angle) that will work with Unisteer?  Called Sanderson Headers but the guy wasn't quite sure if they would fit without adding another knuckle. 

IMG_7498[1].JPG

IMG_7496[1].JPG

Those looks like Hedman longtubes, but the collector seems to short, comparing to my Hedmans. I've only seen the loose collector ring on Hedman, which is a feature I like a lot. I got mine recoated with thermal coating. So yours looks savable to me. 

26802039476_3c3de819c9_b.jpg

28814659562_753a3a8f1f_b.jpg

I have the Hedman 88660's on my '69. Been on there a long time. They didn't fit when I installed them (my car is stock), had to put a small spacer between the motor mount and block to clear my zbar. Called Hedman and they asked me if my car came originally with a 351w, I said yes, they told me the reason they didn't fit was because they were designed for swapping a 351w into a '69...huh??

Thanks for all the help everyone. I ended up coating my original headers and will purchase new ones when I get the new motor.  Kyle T and skidmarky, do you have any pictures from underneath so I can see the clearance.  My car was a 6 cylinder that was converted to a 351w so I'm finding a lot of issues.  Here are some pictures in case anyone else can find them useful. I will probably purchase TCP engine mounts (3 inches of adjustment) just in case.

IMG_7738.JPG

IMG_7740.JPG

On 9/27/2021 at 9:25 AM, skidmarky said:

I have the Hedman 88660's on my '69. Been on there a long time. They didn't fit when I installed them (my car is stock), had to put a small spacer between the motor mount and block to clear my zbar. Called Hedman and they asked me if my car came originally with a 351w, I said yes, they told me the reason they didn't fit was because they were designed for swapping a 351w into a '69...huh??

Wonder why they said that ? Mine was a 302 originally. Not much difference