lalojamesliz

Question about replacing radiator support and battery apron

Mine are all beat to hell and instead of trying to fix them (I doubt I can) I'm just going to replace them.  I just ordered them from CJ and I chose the better ones they carry.

I don't understand why they sell cheap versions over almost everything and then a good more expensive version of the same part. 

Well, my question is can I start to remove the radiator support now along with the inner fender that the battery tray is on now and just get the area ready and wait for the parts to come or should I wait for the parts to have minimal time without those things holding the front end together? 

My mustang had a decent accident by the looks of it and whoever fixed it did a sloppy job and welded a lot of the radiator support and that battery apron together.

So instead of some spot welds holding them together they are welded along the seam a lot of the way. It's going to be a PITA in other words and take a good long time.  

That battery apron has a good amount of rust as you can see in the picture and instead of cutting out and repairing I believe it will be much faster and end up with much better results by just replacing it

16279389596476732273457182804635.jpg

1627939090564640660162913440701.jpg

Before you cut anything out My recommendation would be to make a detailed diagram & note measurements as well as cross measurements. These measurements will help determine if the car is currently strait & square, or if adjustments need to be made. ASSUMING everything is where is should be they will help you get the new parts in the correct position.

69 & 70 are the same dimensions. Measurement "H", in the diagram below is correct, however, they are measuring from the incorrect hole, it should be the hole in front of the tunnel brace. I would also measure the distance between the top of the aprons in multiple identifiable locations, inside bend NOT the holes. Then cross measure from the firewall to the front of the apron. 

70+Mustang+Chassis+frame+dimension+As+Us

Thanks for posting that picture. I'll start measuring.  

I'm a little worried since it had that accident a long time ago but it looks like the frame rails were left untouched.

I've been thinking what's the point of my fancy suspension if the body isn't straight..... 

If it is good already,  I planned to tack weld some square tubing in a X pattern on the lower frame rails and something across on top. Just to keep everything still. I need to get started before this damn heat gets worse today.