lalojamesliz

I was expecting some issues but WTH

I bought a scott drake export brace for my 69 and I've seen some stories of people having to use screw drivers to align the holes but my shock tower holes are no where near where I need them.  

These bottom plates need to be re drilled or removed and repositioned.  Is that a common problem?

The export brace kinda lines up wit the holes on the shock towers but it's the bottom plates causing the problem. 

My mustang has been hit on the passenger side front end but the driver side has the same issue so it can't be that.

20210723_112042.jpg

16270656048846327176629558249748.jpg

20210723_115829.jpg

Is the engine in the car? The reason I ask is because weight will change that some and how the car is supported will change it also. Needs to be on wheels on ground has it would be normally. After the above is done and still not lined up sometimes the shock towers will move in or out  with stress over time. Some where on line there is a dia. with measurements to check to see if shock towers are where they are suppose to be. If I can find it I will post it. Another thing is the fender gaps lining up ok. If so and u can line export brace up with minimum pressure I would not worry about it.

I understand what your saying but the lower plates don't line up at all with the export brace. It looks as they just spot welded them on without lining up the holes from the shock towers and plates as long as the shock mounting hats lined up with the shock.

The engine is not in the car yet. 

Actually the lower plates do not matter ,they only hold the carriage bolt in place,keep it from dropping through  ,the bolt slides in through the big opening in the top of the tower and locks into the smaller slot ,leave all the bolts loose and set the brace in place then tighten them up . The cheaper braces do not fit well but i have not had a problem with the thick stampings 

Well I feel stupid x2 

Thanks for pointing that out guys.  The other reason I feel dumb is because I started to look at the instructions for my SOT coilovers and it says I need to drill through the bottom plate to get the export brace to line up

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

16270771876487954983654332174754.jpg

3 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

I bought a scott drake export brace for my 69 and I've seen some stories of people having to use screw drivers to align the holes but my shock tower holes are no where near where I need them.  

These bottom plates need to be re drilled or removed and repositioned.  Is that a common problem?

The export brace kinda lines up wit the holes on the shock towers but it's the bottom plates causing the problem. 

My mustang has been hit on the passenger side front end but the driver side has the same issue so it can't be that.

Am I correct, the top of the shock towers need to move outward a little?  If so, I had that issue on my 69 Mach 1, but, it was a completed car.  What I did was loosen all the top fender bolts except the front and rear bolt.  Then with two floor jacks and blocks of wood lift the front of the car a little where the lower control arms attach to the front subframe.  This will move the top of the shock towers outward and everything easily lines up.