Sign in to follow this  
norcaltt

suspension/steering upgrade

I have a 1969 mustang grande with 351w and fmx. I want to upgrade complete suspension and steering. who put coilovers and rack and pinion in theres? pros/cons and pictures would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I have the Total Control Products front coil overs, rear coilovers with watts link and a torque arm and their power rack and pinion. I also have their subframe connectors and motor mounts.

Pros: Installs easily, not much modification needed, but the subframe connectors needs to be welded in. Same goes for the rear suspension mounting. Rack is very high quality, Woodward internals. No issiues with clearing headers etc. Front suspension uses stock mounting locations.

Cons: Still uses the '69 or '70 spindles, so you're limited on your brake choice. Only Baer has a big brake kit for those spindles. I've had problems with the shock absorbers, as they do not have dust boots. Sand and road dirt ruins the seal after a while. Norway weather is not California weather.

35098463493_92f17785f7_b.jpg

I have Street or Tracks front Coilover setup with stock power steering/spindles. Easy install, fun to drive! 

never went with a Rack and Pinion, because of Header selection, I Think TCP would be top tier kit to go with, other rack n pinion kits have mixed reviews. 

I have Street or Track Coil over set up as well.  Also have the Unisteer Power steering set up and very happy with all of it. Either way, I would suggest call Shaun at Street or Track and talk to him.  Great guy and knows his stuff and will not pressure you at all to buy his stuff, only provide you the info to make your decision. 

Good luck.  

Keeping mine near stock. I added EIBACH springs & shocks from & rear and cut the springs w a saw to lower car. Handles like a modern car. Also added Halibrand wheels & modern MICHELINs wheels & BAER big brakes

1EF4FC20-0E31-4C08-8E4A-5B4E181C79C9.jpeg

3 hours ago, fvike said:

I have the Total Control Products front coil overs, rear coilovers with watts link and a torque arm and their power rack and pinion. I also have their subframe connectors and motor mounts.

Pros: Installs easily, not much modification needed, but the subframe connectors needs to be welded in. Same goes for the rear suspension mounting. Rack is very high quality, Woodward internals. No issiues with clearing headers etc. Front suspension uses stock mounting locations.

Cons: Still uses the '69 or '70 spindles, so you're limited on your brake choice. Only Baer has a big brake kit for those spindles. I've had problems with the shock absorbers, as they do not have dust boots. Sand and road dirt ruins the seal after a while. Norway weather is not California weather.

Wilwood has brake kits of various sizes for 69 & 70 oem disk spindles.

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch?year=1969&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Disc+Brake+Spindle&axle=Front+Kit

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch?year=1970&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Disc+Brake+Front+Except+GT350+%26+500&axle=Front+Kit

For oem drum spindles

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch?year=1969&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Drum+Brake+Front+Spindle&axle=Front+Kit

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch?year=1970&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Drum+Brake+Front+Spindle&axle=Front+Kit

Yeah Shaun is a super nice guy to talk too.

One reason why I chose his stuff is because you can just call him and tell him what you plan to do and he'll build a list for you.... Then take your money ha ha ha.  Pricey for sure but all I ever see about his stuff is great reviews.

On 7/22/2021 at 2:38 PM, norcaltt said:

I have a 1969 mustang grande with 351w and fmx. I want to upgrade complete suspension and steering. who put coilovers and rack and pinion in theres? pros/cons and pictures would be greatly appreciated. thanks

How are you driving with the car once it’s done ?

This post is quite timely -- my steering system needs a lot of TLC (ie. replacement parts) in order to get it steering as good as it was in '69, but the more I think about it, I feel the time is right to upgrade to a rack and pinion.  

For the TCP or Street-or-Track systems, can you stick with the factory power steering pump?  Or is it recommended to upgrade?

26 minutes ago, Flanders said:

This post is quite timely -- my steering system needs a lot of TLC (ie. replacement parts) in order to get it steering as good as it was in '69, but the more I think about it, I feel the time is right to upgrade to a rack and pinion.  

For the TCP or Street-or-Track systems, can you stick with the factory power steering pump?  Or is it recommended to upgrade?

I believe you can, but its a matter of modifying the hydraulic line/couplers. I believe TCP sells two versions, one to retain your PS pump and the other is their aftermarket pump.