lalojamesliz

Anyone think a hydraulic press useful on these cars?

I bought a 20 ton from HF for the wheel bearings on my last car and I'm always trying to make space in my garage. 

Has anyone ever had to use one on these cars? I don't want to sell it then I find out I need it...

I ordered the floating rear end from Shaun..... I guess i don't need it. I'll list it for sale. 

@RPM

Need one?  You always give me crap when I forget to tell you first ha ha ha

You probably already have a 40ton by the way your shop looks

When I first got the press I was having a little fun with my younger son by crushing some little stuff like a water bottle plastic cap, a folded up shoelace and a small screw I think. I asked something about the press on the garage journal site and I posted how my son and i were having some fun with it and big mistake.  

Those people don't have a sense of humor and were practically throwing stones for saying that... That's not a toy, you can get seriously hurt and so on.  

Very helpful site but damn...

I use to go to the the parts store to press bearing on and off. None of the places I called have presses anymore. A couple of them don’t turn drums/rotors either.  My neighbors hf press wasn’t tall enough to press them off. I found a 4x4 shop that would do it. Fortunately it’s not something I will probably ever need again. 

I'd hang on to the press.  You can do more with it than you think, and not just axle bearings.  If you rebuild your own differential, it's needed, manual trans, it's needed, a simple distributor gear change or removal and installation, it's needed.  Need to dimple a piece of thin wall tubing or thin sheet metal, the press can do it with a little creative setup.  It will also straighten or bend thick steel pieces.  Need to modify an air cleaner base so it drops down a little more, you can do that with the hydraulic press.  Want to change out some rubber suspension bushings, the press is needed or at least makes the job much easier.  So there are many uses for it, not just axle bearings.

5 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

I'd hang on to the press.  You can do more with it than you think, and not just axle bearings.  If you rebuild your own differential, it's needed, manual trans, it's needed, a simple distributor gear change or removal and installation, it's needed.  Need to dimple a piece of thin wall tubing or thin sheet metal, the press can do it with a little creative setup.  It will also straighten or bend thick steel pieces.  Need to modify an air cleaner base so it drops down a little more, you can do that with the hydraulic press.  Want to change out some rubber suspension bushings, the press is needed or at least makes the job much easier.  So there are many uses for it, not just axle bearings.

Yup

Yup

Yup.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:11 PM, 1969_Mach1 said:

Now you tell me! Ha ha ha

I sold it 2 hours before you posted that message on Friday.  I forgot to check back because Friday was my wife's birthday and she had a actual list of things she wanted me to finish/do ha ha ha

Hey Bob,  you said you have a press right?  Jk buddy haha

Also can be used to press out spring eye bushings, although more fun with a torch....

I always thought it would be fun to put a golf ball there and try to flatten it...   But, figured there would be too much shrapnel.....