69RavenConv

D*@3n!* turn signal switch!

12 hours ago, aslanefe said:

I don't have 69 with two spoke wheel to examine, but I think it can be fixed. If you can post photos of the broken tab and the other side of the wheel where the tab was, may be we can figure out how to fix it. I have an idea but need more photos to see if it will work.

Thanks, I can do that. I always prefer fixing the OEM vs. large money for an inferior repop. But there's a few challenges here, not the least of which is I can't find the broken off contact button that's supposed to be on the left side. Give me a day or two to get some better photos.  

1 hour ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Yours is different than my Mach, what attaches to this? Is the post that sticks up spring loaded or is that half of the horn contact?

image.png.1db06c35ef8974a4a8186e7c0b5f580d.png

That's a contact point, one of two (the other is broken off). When the horn ring is depressed, it touches both and completes the circuit. (The one in your picture may be partially broken, too, as I attached the horn ring misaligned and it crushed the contact points.)

Each contact goes down the hole and connects to a ring on the bottom of the steering wheel. Those rings touch 2 spring loaded contacts (brushes) on the turn signal switch. This allows constant electrical contact when the wheel is turned.

So I broke one contact completely off and may have damaged the other. The trick is to restore electrical continuity between the contacts and the rings on the bottom of the wheel, and restore the missing contact. Better pictures may help :)

3 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Yours is different than my Mach, what attaches to this? Is the post that sticks up spring loaded or is that half of the horn contact?

image.png.1db06c35ef8974a4a8186e7c0b5f580d.png

Terry, I believe he has the standard 2 spoke wheel with half circle chrome horn bar for the horn. 69 and 70 3 spoke wheel should be rim blow and 70 2 spoke is press the ends of the pad of 2 spokes to honk. As far as I remember, 69 2 spoke is odd ball in terms of horn switch connections while all 3 spoke rim blows and 70 2 spoke should have similar connections/contacts.

Edited by aslanefe
Typo

1 hour ago, 69RavenConv said:

That's a contact point, one of two (the other is broken off). When the horn ring is depressed, it touches both and completes the circuit. (The one in your picture may be partially broken, too, as I attached the horn ring misaligned and it crushed the contact points.)

Each contact goes down the hole and connects to a ring on the bottom of the steering wheel. Those rings touch 2 spring loaded contacts (brushes) on the turn signal switch. This allows constant electrical contact when the wheel is turned.

So I broke one contact completely off and may have damaged the other. The trick is to restore electrical continuity between the contacts and the rings on the bottom of the wheel, and restore the missing contact. Better pictures may help :)

Rimblow buddy that used to restore steering wheels closed down recently and selling everything they have. I have seen photos of original/used wheels they had. Give them a call, they may have a usable wheel or a wheel you can use parts from (like the contact you are missing). 

14 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

Terry, I believe he has the standard 2 spoke wheel with half circle chrome horn bar for the horn. 69 and 70 3 spoke wheel should be rim blow and 70 2 spoke is press the ends of the pad of 2 spokes to honk. As far as I remember, 69 2 spoke is odd ball in terms of horn switch connections while all 3 spoke rim blows and 70 2 spoke should have similar connections/contacts.

That is correct.

8 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

Rimblow buddy that used to restore steering wheels closed down recently and selling everything they have. I have seen photos of original/used wheels they had. Give them a call, they may have a usable wheel or a wheel you can use parts from (like the contact you are missing). 

I was thinking that the whole assembly could be salvaged from a donor wheel. It appears to be riveted to the steering wheel. If so a cracked or bent wheel could be a perfect donor. Thanks for the tip.

Ok, things are getting clearer. I started looking around for a donor wheel and looked at some photos. That prompted me to pull out my old photos and found the one below from several years ago. You can see the contacts are held on by Philips screws. My screws are now missing. Did I absent mindedly remove them at some point and forget to replace them? Probably. So I still may be able to repair it with a donor wheel. Or worst case, go used/repop. 

HornRing2013.jpg

The world is surely fortunate that not everyone thinks like an engineer. Several years after my first wife's passing I went on E-Harmony and found my current wife. When she read my bio and it said I was an engineer, she immediately turned the computer off, and didn't boot it up again for two days. Her first husband was an engineer and she didn't want a repeat performance... but fortunately for me, she decided to give me a chance to prove that I was more than just an engineer ;)

One place I worked, I was called the engineer liaison, it was my job to make  new designs to work in the shop before being released to the customer. Needless to say I had a close relationship with the Engineers. Have to say they were the best bunch of guys I have worked with.  

It's fixed - my horn works again. Thanks to @det0326 for hooking me up with a seller of the part I needed. I may now be the world's foremost authority on 2-spoke horns. I took a bunch of pictures, I may post a thread on it while it's fresh in my mind in case anyone else ever cares about such a thing. 

I was  on facebook yesterday and there's a guy on a mustang forum that was selling two 2 spoke steering wheels for 68/69. Wanted $75 for both of them. I never sent you the link because I knew you had already bought the parts. That's the way it goes once u buy something u always find a better deal.