Sign in to follow this  
lalojamesliz

Strange or something else

I measured it yesterday and I have a small one..... oh I mean the small bearing housing on my 9" rear!

I'm about to order my 3rd member and axles and I've been looking at the strange ones.....

I read I could fit 35 spline axles but that makes the axle bearings too small so I was considering 31 spline axles with a nodular diff.  

Chris Staub and the guy from pro systems that got me my carb and the guys that built my 408w all told me I'll be close to 600hp

Afr 205 heads, 10.5 compression carbed, Straub cam and fpa headers. Other little stuff.

I'll have some 275's nitto tires in back. I think it was the 555's I was looking at before.  I think the radius is 25.1 or 25.91 for my tires.  I want my rpms at a good speed so I can drive it out of town once in a while and get something better than 8mpg but still tear up the mean streets of Chicago,  I mean Bakersfield. 

I was thinking 3.50 for the gear ratio.  The 4r70w I have is supposed to have a .70 final.   I know squat of gearing...... 

I'm still thinking of having  a separate 3rd member just for traveling though.  Something that's strong enough for cruising and with like a 3.00 gear ratio or slightly lower.  

I heard of Mark Williams diffs, way out of my price range....

Has anyone had bad luck with strange diff's or axles?

4 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

I measured it yesterday and I have a small one..... oh I mean the small bearing housing on my 9" rear!

I'm about to order my 3rd member and axles and I've been looking at the strange ones.....

I read I could fit 35 spline axles but that makes the axle bearings too small so I was considering 31 spline axles with a nodular diff.  

Chris Staub and the guy from pro systems that got me my carb and the guys that built my 408w all told me I'll be close to 600hp

Afr 205 heads, 10.5 compression carbed, Straub cam and fpa headers. Other little stuff.

I'll have some 275's nitto tires in back. I think it was the 555's I was looking at before.  I think the radius is 25.1 or 25.91 for my tires.  I want my rpms at a good speed so I can drive it out of town once in a while and get something better than 8mpg but still tear up the mean streets of Chicago,  I mean Bakersfield. 

I was thinking 3.50 for the gear ratio.  The 4r70w I have is supposed to have a .70 final.   I know squat of gearing...... 

I'm still thinking of having  a separate 3rd member just for traveling though.  Something that's strong enough for cruising and with like a 3.00 gear ratio or slightly lower.  

I heard of Mark Williams diffs, way out of my price range....

Has anyone had bad luck with strange diff's or axles?

Haven't herd any issues with strange, I am on the fence with their axles.

with my old 393w stroker, I was putting down 365hp with 400tq at the wheels I was running a tko600 with small bearing ford 9 with 3:50's, with 275 BFG Sport Comp2's. IMO as long as your tire tread is not too sticky I think the small bearing rear end will hold.

Im getting a 408w built with afr205s and FPA Headers aswell, trying to get to 500hp mark. I think with the right tire tread and some upgraded axles the small bearing can hold without issue. For sure my brakes will need to be upgraded so that is on the list aswell.

Now I'm debating on if I should just sell my small bearing ford housing and get a aftermarket one and sell the one I have now to help offset the cost. This is never going to end

This is one option I was looking at and getting a strange 3rd member..... 

https://streetortrack.com/rear-ends/street-or-track-9-rear-end-w-3-link-mounts-installed

I called "Strange engineering" and they just told me it's best to get the strongest I can for durability and that's what I want. Strength and durability.  Man....

Do you plan on drag racing?  I would still be willing to bet you are going to break traction before you break parts, unless you just get crazy and get a lot of wheel hop or something.  The wheels won't fall off just based on the 9in design as the axles are bolted in at the end vs a c clip design in the diff.  I would get some strong 31 splines and the strongest 3rd member you can and go from there.  

1 hour ago, SM69Mach said:

Do you plan on drag racing?  I would still be willing to bet you are going to break traction before you break parts, unless you just get crazy and get a lot of wheel hop or something.  The wheels won't fall off just based on the 9in design as the axles are bolted in at the end vs a c clip design in the diff.  I would get some strong 31 splines and the strongest 3rd member you can and go from there.  

So the strange 31 spline axles and strange nodular 3rd member SHOULD be ok huh. 

I'm know to over think things but I don't want to break something while having some fun with my older  kids in the car or on a track.

I don't plan on drag racing but I would like to go a couple times to see what I can do in a 1/4 mile. 

I saw they sell a brace for the 9" but if not careful,  you can warp the housing while welding to it

I honestly think you would be ok.  You would need a pretty sticky tire and stick it pretty good to break.  It will find the weakest link for sure, but that could be anything from tranny, driveshaft, u-joints, etc.  I would honestly call Shaun at Street or track and talk to him about this and your brake situation.  He does this stuff all the time and has a lot of up to date and first hand knowledge of this stuff and deals with it daily.  I bought my suspension from him and talked to him a few times before deciding what to do.  He is no pressure and will give you some great info.  

I honestly think you would be ok.  You would need a pretty sticky tire and stick it pretty good to break.  It will find the weakest link for sure, but that could be anything from tranny, driveshaft, u-joints, etc.  I would honestly call Shaun at Street or track and talk to him about this and your brake situation.  He does this stuff all the time and has a lot of up to date and first hand knowledge of this stuff and deals with it daily.  I bought my suspension from him and talked to him a few times before deciding what to do.  He is no pressure and will give you some great info.  

I agree anything around 200-340 tire treadwear should be good for the street. Unless you are using slicks, then something will break. 

Yeah he seems like a great guy. I ordered my front and rear coilover kits from him the other day. A little thought to get a hold of sometimes but I'm sure he's busy.  I emailed him earlier