RobotMan

Replacement Gages

I'm not an engineer but I play one at work.   

My degree is in Industrial Technology ... the orginal "IT" ... basically a step below an engineer.   Or as the engineering students called us in the 80's "IT" stands for "I Tried" (engineering) but flunked out !!   Not my case though, I knew up front my abilities and started there.

Doug          

I used used punch cards as book marks until the Amazon Kindle came out...

They are also quite useful for ad-hoc length markers: mark any appropriate length you want and use it where metal rulers are either too big or aren't allowed.  When going out to sea and measuring printed fathometer outputs, we used a ten-spacer to mark up punch cards that could be put onto the electrostatically burned paper and read depths down to 2 fathoms accuracy.

Back in college, I remember the machines that punched the cards collected all the little punch-outs in a waste basket inside the cabinet. We called them "beta particles". If you dumped a bunch of beta particles in somebody's car, there wasn't a vacuum cleaner made that could get them all out. Or so I've heard.

Yeah, us Engineers are also closet secretaries, which the Mustang was originally designed to be attracted to...

Now then, if you're on the Concours Mustang site at all, you'd be amazed at the intensity of discussions about very esoteric part finishes.  The latest one revolves around the distributor hold-down clamp "rivet" at the bottom of the clamp and what its finish was supposed to be.  Now THAT'S geekdom!