RobotMan

Replacement Gages

Does anyone have experience using precision gages in instrument clusters in lieu of the older technology. In particular the oil pressure and temperature gages would be nice to have numerical readings. Both my sons 69 Mach 1 have oil pressure, temp, alternator, fuel gage, and speedometer. I’m also interested in doing a conversion for my 68 Fastback.  I’ve seen some listings for replacement gages across the board but was not sure about quality. I would prefer not to add other gages hanging from dash or some other place in the interior. Maybe someone can share their thoughts or ideas?

Thanks 

Rick

4 hours ago, Mike65 said:

These are the Dakota Digital gauges I am going to use in my Coupe.

1969- 70 Ford Mustang VHX Instruments (dakotadigital.com)

Have you determined what wiring needs to be done. Can you add tach to a non tach car by just running extra wire?  Does it connect somehow to the existing harness connector for instrument cluster?

Thanks

Rick

I have used the Dakota gauges, not on a mustang but another application, they worked fine. There is a control box that most of your inputs will be connected to and from the box the signals are transferred to the cluster via cat 5 cable. There's 4 inputs, ebrake, hi beam indicator, right and left turn that is a direct connection from existing wires from harness. I will also say that the oil pressure gauge stopped working and after a few diagnostic tests with a tec. at dakota he recommended returning the cluster for further inspection.   This was like over a year later and I thought there would be a charge but he told us the gauges were warranted for life.

You need to download their installation instructions. Yes you can have a tach, oil, water, fuel, speed, cruise, odometer, and lots of different LED indicators that can be customized to say things like: brakes, lights on, alarm on, OD off - read the instructions for the options. It has timing functions (1/4 mile, etc), with analog and digital display of the vitals. No, it does not connect to the existing harness connector; you have to tie-in to the correct wires. I don't consider it difficult, and there are a fair amount of wires, but perhaps you shouldn't go by me, since I'm an electrical engineer. You will need a wiring diagram, so look in the "How to's" section under my post for "1969 Mustang Wire Diagram". Its 30+ pages and from the shop manual. If you need a schematic, that's there too at the top of the section. Schematics show how it works, while wire diagrams show how its wired.

6 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

You need to download their installation instructions. Yes you can have a tach, oil, water, fuel, speed, cruise, odometer, and lots of different LED indicators that can be customized to say things like: brakes, lights on, alarm on, OD off - read the instructions for the options. It has timing functions (1/4 mile, etc), with analog and digital display of the vitals. No, it does not connect to the existing harness connector; you have to tie-in to the correct wires. I don't consider it difficult, and there are a fair amount of wires, but perhaps you shouldn't go by me, since I'm an electrical engineer. You will need a wiring diagram, so look in the "How to's" section under my post for "1969 Mustang Wire Diagram". Its 30+ pages and from the shop manual. If you need a schematic, that's there too at the top of the section. Schematics show how it works, while wire diagrams show how its wired.

I am also an engineer so that is not an issue. Just trying to understand how they are tying it in. I assume you have to cut the existing connector from the harness?

Thanks

Rick

Edited by RobotMan

I have a 69 Mach 1 original tach in cluster and like to keep things original but I have made some modifications which I will list:  

* converted existing tach with rocketman www.RCCInnovations.com. Luckily I was able to buy one cheap on ebay and converted that. what he does is replace the guts but face is the same.
* got the console pod and installed voltmeter and oil pressure it in the ashtray which is where the shelby's had them.
* for voltmeter i just tapped existing wiring that was nearby the console
* mustangs have the oil pressure sensor made for dummy lights. so i had to replace with oil pressure sensor made for gauge.
* clock stopped working but i found a place where you can buy remanufactured original guts if your willing to take that apart. 

Let me know if you have questions? rob

I have the Dakota Digital RTX Series and what an awesome kit! can give you multiple readings i.e Speed, Oil Pressure, Radiator Temp. You can also adjust these settings in your iOS or Android Phone. you can also change the color of the dials. 

my only gripe with this kit, is it doesn't have the running horse when you select the high beams. thats one thing that I wish that on there. other than that Dakota Digital is a winner for me.

493877966_ScreenShot2021-06-15at11_00_58AM.thumb.png.138a81d9e5afb317bb0ab3958090d3ec.png

IMG_4535.JPG

On 6/15/2021 at 11:01 AM, rwcstang said:

I have the Dakota Digital RTX Series and what an awesome kit! can give you multiple readings i.e Speed, Oil Pressure, Radiator Temp. You can also adjust these settings in your iOS or Android Phone. you can also change the color of the dials. 

my only gripe with this kit, is it doesn't have the running horse when you select the high beams. thats one thing that I wish that on there. other than that Dakota Digital is a winner for me.

493877966_ScreenShot2021-06-15at11_00_58AM.thumb.png.138a81d9e5afb317bb0ab3958090d3ec.png

IMG_4535.JPG

Hey man did that come with everything you needed to install this kit? Like the sensors and wiring?

2 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

Hey man did that come with everything you needed to install this kit? Like the sensors and wiring?

Yes, the kit came with everything, Im not too into wiring, however, the shop I installed it at had no issue and was a straight forward install since my wires were original and not touched/modified prior.

definitely one of my favorite things about the car. I dont need to add any additional gauges like oil pressure, water temp, this gauge kit has everything that you need, the two LCD Displays helps alot when on the road, as I get an accurate reading.

I highly recommend RTX to anyone who is debating about going with this kit.

20 hours ago, rwcstang said:

Yes, the kit came with everything, Im not too into wiring, however, the shop I installed it at had no issue and was a straight forward install since my wires were original and not touched/modified prior.

definitely one of my favorite things about the car. I dont need to add any additional gauges like oil pressure, water temp, this gauge kit has everything that you need, the two LCD Displays helps alot when on the road, as I get an accurate reading.

I highly recommend RTX to anyone who is debating about going with this kit.

I messaged Dakota Digital and told them I couldn't order it on their site and they said the removed the ordering for it because they can't keep up with the demand and supplies.

So I called and the guy told me I can order it BUT it had a 4 month wait...... Then he told me summit had 1 in stock. Guess what I bought! 

I got a few add on's and led tail lights as well. I ordered the Bluetooth fan controller also. I already bought a Ron Francis fan controller but I much prefer this one since it's Bluetooth and I can control it with my phone.  

Thank you for the advice on this. I look forward to it. I have some questions but I'm not going to try to steal this thread ha ha ha

On 6/15/2021 at 2:01 PM, rwcstang said:

IMG_4535.JPG

Very nice!  Probably going to try one of these in the future. Thanks for the info. 

On 6/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, RobotMan said:

I am also an engineer so that is not an issue.
Thanks

Rick

I'm amazed at the number of engineers who are into classic Mustangs. Impressive.