BigJeffL

Question about Leaf Springs

Hi all,

I had my car in for an alignment today, and the owner and I got into a conversation about rear leaf springs.  He mentioned that the springs that come in the kits online ($200 - 300 range) are junk, and that they are bound to need major adjustment to make the vehicle height correct.  He basically said that I'd be better off having them custom made ($800 - 1000), otherwise, I'd be throwing money away.  

Does anyone have any experience with the purchasing/installing kits online?  Were they quality?

Thanks!

I feel like I got a good deal with John at OpenTracker.  They are off the shelf and were $120 each.  I have a firm grip even on bumpy or winding roads.

https://opentrackerracing.com/product/4-5-mid-eye-leaf-spring-1964-1973/

Suspension Mods Sourced from Opentrackerracing :

1" UCA drop, 560 1" drop coil springs, 1/4" Poly coil spring insulators, 1 1/8" front sway bar kit, Roller spring perches, Standard Upper arms, Standard Lower arms, New Strut rod bushings, KYB Front shocks, Grab-A-Track rear shocks, 4.5 Mid eye 1" drop leaf springs with new U-Bolt, front eye bolt and rear shackle kit

IMG_1369.jpg

I installed the 5-leaf mid-eye rear leaf springs from Mustangs Plus a long time ago (about 1996) and haven't had any issues with them.  The car is rarely driven, but they have been fine.  If you want stock ride height springs I think you will be shocked on how high the ride height is regardless of who makes them.  Many have a first thought there is something wrong with the spring, but these cars had a fairly tall ride height in stock form.

Detroit Eaton builds their springs to the factory prints and their leaf springs did wonders for the badly sagging ass-end of my convertible. I'm very happy but I still run the stock suspension and 14" rims as they came form the factory. Most folks like to run more modern suspension setups and bigger rims, so that's where the customization comes in.

Mustang Profile.jpg

On 6/11/2021 at 1:21 AM, jjstang said:

I may be wrong but I thought I was told Eaton was the oem manufacturer. 

That also my understanding that Eaton was the OEM. OEM or not I have had no issues with the two sets of stock height Eaton leaf springs I bought for my 1970 and 1973 mustangs. Like all springs they look high initially especially if the car is not fully weighted down, so they take a while to settle down the normal ride height.

20210625_230407.jpg

20210625_230256.jpg