TexasEd

New hidden Bluetooth radio - and while I have the dash out...

On 4/17/2022 at 7:08 AM, dmdsprite said:

How did this work for you?  I was looking at the same model.  I need to add a tach, so I was thinking about using this to delete the crappy aftermarket radio currently in my car: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-DIN-Gauge-Pod-52mm-2-1-16-double-pod-radio-mount-/133121192971?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Then I'd put a 52mm tach in the opening closest to the driver, and cover the other opening with the little remote from the mc900b...but I wasn't sure if that remote was to big vertically to fit there?

It works great.  I don't have my car back together because I decided to get it painted while it was already torn apart.  I have this radio/amp imstalled and it does what I expected.  I mocked up the speakers to test it and it sounds really good.  

I will probably have my antenna deleted and I already installed the original AM radio in the factory location.  I only hooked up the light that comes on when dash lights are on.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:26 PM, TexasEd said:

Now thinking of going with Classic Auto Air perfect fit system since I am down to the heater core now.  Do I need to buy a new dash for that or cut my existing?

Depends on the look you want. Classic has a version to add vents in the upper/lower dashes. It fits in the same as factory locations.  If you want a more factory corrected look, you’ll have to buy a upper and lower dash. 

20 minutes ago, jjstang said:

Depends on the look you want. Classic has a version to add vents in the upper/lower dashes. It fits in the same as factory locations.  If you want a more factory corrected look, you’ll have to buy a upper and lower dash. 

That’s what I did. I went with the perfect fit 

I'm looking at doing the same thing.  PO cut the wires instead of disconnecting them from the AM radio.  I want the original AM in the dash, and am not worried about it working.  What I need to know is how to rewire the light to come on the radio when the headlights are on.  I would like that to work!

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Mountaineerfan said:

I'm looking at doing the same thing.  PO cut the wires instead of disconnecting them from the AM radio.  I want the original AM in the dash, and am not worried about it working.  What I need to know is how to rewire the light to come on the radio when the headlights are on.  I would like that to work!

Thanks!

The OEM radio was lit by a single bayonette style bulb that got power through a single blue wire you can see in the photo below. It sounds like your harness is pretty butchered so it may take some work to find the conductor (or what's left of it) in your dash.

Philco.jpg

On 5/3/2022 at 9:25 AM, Mountaineerfan said:

Where did you connect that yellow battery cable?  I don't want to run it through the firewall if I don't have to....

Through the firewall.  I had the heater box out and that made it relatively easy.  I actually installed a heavy gauge amplifier wire to the battery and to a junction box mounted to the right of the glove box. I then used a relay with the original radio wire as the trigger.