TexasEd

New hidden Bluetooth radio - and while I have the dash out...

My car has a crappy am/fm cassette player from the 80s in it so I bought an original AM radio to go in it’s place. I don’t know if it works but I almost don’t care. I did make sure the light works. 

I found this Bluetooth receiver amplifier designed for ATVs, motorcycles or watercraft that has a line in and Bluetooth. It is pretty small and I plan to mount it above the factory radio location behind the dashboard. I have a non AC car so there’s plenty of room. I may wire the AM radio to a dash speaker just for fun. 
I added a set of new speakers. I was mainly concerned about how the grilles look. I also got the 6x9 spacers from Crutchfield to help mount them in the package tray. 

I will update as the install progresses. 

3A4E56FF-509E-418D-89F2-8099E41F35B7.jpeg

F6E5F977-FED4-4ACD-91F4-F302297B6CD6.jpeg

D72AAEA8-0319-4F7E-B704-29802C8F7DD7.jpeg

How many projects are too many?  Doing a few things that lead to while I’m at it...  I have the dash off so paint the dash, new instrument bulbs, new lenses, replace AC, diagnose heater issue, fix door glass and hope new carpet arrives while dash is out. 

ECBDA9A5-C42C-4DE8-A9B4-1E3664842569.jpeg

5AAC27F5-07E3-486C-97E1-E005FB976FBD.jpeg

7BAE2D28-E4A4-4414-B51F-31D3E6E6C445.jpeg

D47FBA28-92C9-4091-9CE3-725BE2094310.jpeg

3 minutes ago, 69RavenConv said:

Did you dye that armrest? It looks great. I'm a fellow red-interior-guy.

It came that way from NPD.  I did spray over it with a very light coat of the flexible paint to get the same sheen.  May do another light coat to better match the dash.  The dash is shinier.

NPD Part Numbers:

24140-40D
ARMREST PAD, RH, DK RED
$26.97 1 $26.97
24141-40D
ARMREST PAD, LH, DK RED
$26.97 1 $26.97
VP-15641
INTERIOR PAINT, FLEXIBLE SPRAY, DARK RED, METALLIC
$18.17 1 $18.17

Is this the right color for the lower dash?  Also looking at Krylon 1613 Lacquer.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/interior-paint-lacquer-spray/107659?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dcharcoal%2Blacquer%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1969&year=1969

https://www.grainger.com/product/KRYLON-INDUSTRIAL-Acryli-Quik-Spray-Paint-in-54TG81

I do not have the metallic lower dash, my interior is red and the upper dash is red metallic and the lower is flat black/charcoal

Thanks

20 minutes ago, 69RavenConv said:

The lower dash color was common to all interior colors. Ford called it charcoal metallic but it was pretty much a semi-gloss black. I would expect NPD's product to be a good choice. Here's a recent thread on Concoursmustang.com that goes into more detail.

That was on 68s.  I found this on 69s and they mention the non-black interior cars being different.  Pretty sure mine is non-metallic.  Already have the glove box door out to look at in better light.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/1969-lower-dash-paint.1157064/

There are many bluetooth receivers available, some are under $10.  I have mine hooked up to my Factory AM/FM radio,  so I click a switch and it changes from AM/Fm to bluetooth receiver.   That way the volume and tone knobs work for the sound coming from my phone, through the radio, and to the speakers.  

I did this modification on a 1973 Ford factory radio so I have the original appearance.  I can do it for anyone else who is interested. 

21 hours ago, TexasEd said:

That was on 68s.  I found this on 69s and they mention the non-black interior cars being different.  Pretty sure mine is non-metallic.  Already have the glove box door out to look at in better light.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/1969-lower-dash-paint.1157064/

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that thread. Bossnine aka Rick owns NPD so he knows his stuff. Oddly enough, I used the Krylon on my dash years ago when I did it, so I guess I got lucky :)

Pulled out the seat s and lower dash tonight. I found the build sheet under the rear passenger carpet but it is so dark you have to hold it up to a light. 

I got the dealer AC unit out too. I have a few pinholes of rust in the driver floorboard. Hope it is not worse when I get the carpet out tomorrow. Passenger side and back look great. 

And down the rabbit hole you go Ed. I have a stand alone blue tooth deck in my 69 and love it. Talking on the phone, using Google maps, and playing my music playlists is a breeze. 

11 hours ago, RPM said:

And down the rabbit hole you go Ed. I have a stand alone blue tooth deck in my 69 and love it. Talking on the phone, using Google maps, and playing my music playlists is a breeze. 

Yep, while I'm at it is the enemy of progress.  Mine won't have phone audio capability, no microphone.  

Anyone have a extra heater control arm laying around?  I need the top one.  Mine is twisted like a rope from someone trying to move it with pliers when the blend door was frozen shut.

A few more pics:

20210529_105644_IMG_2988.JPG

20210528_194456_IMG_2973.JPG

20210529_101011_IMG_2983.JPG

20210529_101237_IMG_2986.JPG

Also have the instrument cluster taken apart. The circuit board looks good but installing LED lamps from Mustang Project down the street from me. Also need new lenses, paint the needles and figure out what to do about lack of chrome trim. 

54EF5B42-DA26-4B7F-BB8B-FA04C2946447.jpeg

B04F80FB-981C-420F-877F-A7C9F52C4731.jpeg

I used tape and masked off around both sides of where the chrome ring was. Then I used some of the testers model car chrome / silver paint and repainted the ring with a small fine tip brush. I actually like the look more than the chrome. I did my radio bezel the exact same. 

BF4D35DB-BF3E-4DFC-B10E-BA6C5E53F020.jpeg

image.jpg

Thanks, I got s chisel tip paint marker and will to the same.  I think I only need to mask the inside because the outside has a lip to make it easier.  I also touched up the faded needles.

Found some rust in the driver's floorboard.  Not bad for that being the first rust I've ever found.  Replacing the pan will slow me down.

Now thinking of going with Classic Auto Air perfect fit system since I am down to the heater core now.  Do I need to buy a new dash for that or cut my existing?

2 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

I used this stuff made for model builders. It looks good but is a pain to apply to the circular bezel. It comes in 8-1/2 x 11 sheets and you cut to fit. I didn't do a very good job but somebody with better skills might do better.

https://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

I’ve used that stuff for modeling. I also saw foil strips at Michael’s but they did not have plain chrome. Everything else. Going with silver paint pen. Daughter is going to help pull out the heater box today.

On 5/26/2021 at 1:10 AM, TexasEd said:

My car has a crappy am/fm cassette player from the 80s in it so I bought an original AM radio to go in it’s place. I don’t know if it works but I almost don’t care. I did make sure the light works. 

I found this Bluetooth receiver amplifier designed for ATVs, motorcycles or watercraft that has a line in and Bluetooth. It is pretty small and I plan to mount it above the factory radio location behind the dashboard. I have a non AC car so there’s plenty of room. I may wire the AM radio to a dash speaker just for fun. 
I added a set of new speakers. I was mainly concerned about how the grilles look. I also got the 6x9 spacers from Crutchfield to help mount them in the package tray. 

I will update as the install progresses. 

3A4E56FF-509E-418D-89F2-8099E41F35B7.jpeg

F6E5F977-FED4-4ACD-91F4-F302297B6CD6.jpeg

D72AAEA8-0319-4F7E-B704-29802C8F7DD7.jpeg

How did this work for you?  I was looking at the same model.  I need to add a tach, so I was thinking about using this to delete the crappy aftermarket radio currently in my car: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-DIN-Gauge-Pod-52mm-2-1-16-double-pod-radio-mount-/133121192971?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Then I'd put a 52mm tach in the opening closest to the driver, and cover the other opening with the little remote from the mc900b...but I wasn't sure if that remote was to big vertically to fit there?