Sign in to follow this  
SHELBY69

HURST shifter stock ?

Wondering if the long HURST shifter was stock on the 69 Shelby GT350. It’s so tall it interferes w my hand on the wheel sometime. I’d like a shifter about 3” shorter. Any clue ? Thanks

I don't believe your Hurst shifter is stock. mines came with a Ford shifter.  If you don't like the height of your shifter, you can cut the shift stick below the rubber boot and reweld to your preferred height.  You can also position shifter toward right, away from the steering wheel.  Post a picture, like to see how high is your shifter.

In 1969 the Ford shifter was being used.  In 1970 Ford used a Hurst Competition Plus shifter.

However, it sounds like somebody installed the wrong Hurst shifter in your car.  I installed a Hurst Competition Plus shifter in my 1969 Mach1 and it fits just fine, no odd interference anywhere.

Just as a point of reference, the 1970 floor pan stamping was different than the 1969 to allow extra clearance in the tunnel to accommodate the Hurst shifter option. The “bump” tunnel in the 70 can also make seat options a bit tight in comparison to a 69 as well.