Sign in to follow this  
SHELBY69

How did you get rid of steering wander ?

My steering was really bad, worse than my 60 Cadillac. She would wander all over, I had a quick ratio steering box installed and it cut down the wander a lot but she still wanders. I need more seat time to figure it out what makes her wander.  She pulls to right on acceleration but has stayed straight on braking.  She can sometimes almost change lanes when she feels like it which is a bit scary. So how did you fix the wander ? Thanks

Thanks, I forgot to say I added EIBACH springs in front cus she was riding way too high. Also added fat sway bars, replica Halibrands, modern MICHELINs & BAER brakes in front.

I’ll swap the idler arm & add positive camber

FWIW  A while back I put some cheap radials on my 65 and they were a bad experience I will not be repeating.  The front tires would follow the grooves in the concrete or roadway.  I thought it was spring saddles, shocks steering box...  Just cheap, inexpensive, radial tires.  They were on the car for 2000 miles got another set of the BFG/TA's and the road wander went away.  Lesson learned.  Brian

On 5/24/2021 at 9:53 PM, Ridge Runner said:

You want to see wander ,put on a set of bias ply tires haha ,those things will grab every crease in the road . I put a set of red line coker tires on my 66 gt ,you couldnt keep it in the road ,a set of BFGs also fixed that .

LOL, I put modern MICHELINs on it so tires are good.