Mach1 Driver

Mustang Memories- please post your own

My doctor and I are avid readers, and email each other about good books we’ve read. Well, in today’s conversation I related how I was restoring my old Mustang. He’s a doctor, not a car crazed Mustang addict, so please excuse him for not knowing they came out in 1964.5. Here’s his memory:

I have to tell you a very interesting story about Mustangs.  It came out in 1963 or 64 if I recall, anyway, I was 3 or 4 and my Mom and and Dad and I were sitting watching the bunny eared black and white TV, and the first commercial came on for the NEW FORD MUSTANG.  Well, and I remember this clear as day, after the commercial was done, my Dad got up and went into the kitchen, which was out of our line of sight.  We hear the dial phone...shhhh click click click shhhh click click click, hear my Dad talking for about five minutes, then he comes back into the living room and sits back down.  My Mom asks "What did you just do, Bob?"  to which my Dad replied, "I just called Detroit and ordered that car on TV."  No kidding.  My Mom just said "Oh, OK".  She was used to my Dad doing crazy stuff with cars, he loved them and owned about 20 different ones over his life.  So, it got delivered, a white hard top three on the floor, and we had the first Mustang in lower NY state.  I still remember that thing, we took a trip down to Florida in it, the three kids crammed in the back sitting on suitcases...what a blast.  So I have very fond memories of the old Mustangs.  It was a beast.

I went to the 1965 World fair with my parents, I was 6 years old.   We did all the rides, including the "Magic Skyway" at the Ford Pavilion.  Our ride vehicle was a 1965 Mustang Convertible.   I was hooked.   Within a few months, my Uncle, who was in his late 20's purchased a '65 coupe.  It was highland green, 289-4bbl, 4 speed, styled steel wheels.  He had that car for years, and drove it everywhere, including cross country a few times.   My cousin bought a '66 fastback a few years later, then a '68 GT coupe, my other cousin had a '68 fastback, another Uncle acquired a '66 coupe.   It was like a disease, everyone had to have one.  At 18, my first car was a 64-1/2 coupe with a "D" code 289 and a T-10 4 speed.  Then a "S" code '68 coupe replaced that.   I didn't get my next Mustang until the late 80's, which was a '68 coupe. I still have that car today.   A long line of modern Mustangs followed, I have owned every generation Mustang, except for the current one. When I finish my '70 Convertible, I will give my '68 to my daughter, who also has the Mustang disease....   Her cousin has a '66 coupe...  My Grandson also is afflicted with this problem, picture of him below helping load a project car onto a trailer, and the other grandkids hanging out in my Convertible.....

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

Julian Mustang.jpg

My story starts in 1967 when I was 9 years old. My Uncle wanted to buy a new car & he narrowed it down to a 1967 Mustang & a 1967 Cougar. My younger brother & I wanted him to buy the Mustang & my 2 older brothers wanted him to buy the Cougar, he ended up buying the Cougar. My oldest brother bought the Cougar from our Uncle & I spent many days riding in that car. My next older brother bought a 1970 Mustang Coupe which I bought from him when he decided to get another car. The 70 Coupe was totaled by a drunk driver so of course I had to have another Mustang which ended up being a 1969 Coupe. A few years later my next older brother bought a 68 Mustang GT Coupe from our Cousin, which I in turn bought from him when he wanted a new car. I kept that 68 GT for about 15 years. After the 68 GT I bought a 65 Fastback for my wife which she ended up selling after about 10 years when her interests turned from cars to motorcycles. After buying the 65 Fastback for my wife I acquired a 69 Coupe as a rolling shell that was being stripped for parts & I have since been putting it back together & modifying it for the past 18 years. As a side note my other cousin had a 69 Mach-1 with a 390 back in the mid 70's which was also an inspiration for me to buy Mustangs.

My brother bought his 69 S code Mach in 79 and knew I would have to have one. I got mine in 80 at the age of 15, a 69 Drag Pac for 1500. The drivetrain was long gone and had been replaced with a CJ and C6. I later found out she carried the nickname of the "Blue Ghost" due to the many eyry happenings to the prior 6-7 owners. My brother and I were self taught on working on them, with some help from the Chilton's Manual. I was known at HS as the Mach 1 Kid, never got beat street racing, and was constantly harassed by the police for excessive noise, exhibition of acceleration, and no front license plate. In 86 we parted ways, but still carried all the memories and scars of owning her. The 70 vert I bought 7 years ago rekindled the flame and soon got another 69 Mach a year later, then a 68, another 70 vert, a 70 coupe, and then restored my brothers Mach. I don't know what it is about the 69/70 Mustangs that leave a craving within my soul to restore just one more.

I do know though, this forum has created many a long distance friend ships with men I will never meet, hours of entertainment, very helpful advice, built confidence within on wiring/electrical issues, joys, sorrows, and the ability of giving back to others. Thanks Guys

Mach a.jpg

Mach b.jpg

Mach.jpg

Machs.jpg