Mike65

H pipe for Hedman 88408 headers.

Hedman does not make a H pipe for the 88408 headers just 17" long extensions. Should I get the extensions & then have an exhaust shop make a h pipe to connect to the rest mid pipes, or have the exhaust shop make the pipe from the headers to the mid pipes?. I was also thinking of buying the H pipe from JBA for their 302 shorty headers w/T-5 trans & seeing if it would fit, or modify a stock h pipe?. Ideas, suggestions?.

https://pertronixbrands.com/products/jba-performance-exhaust-1651sh-2-5-stainless-steel-mid-pipe-h-pipe-for-1650-289-302-t-5-transmission?variant=31797095366692

If you can easily get the car to a muffler shop, then have them connect your existing exhaust to the new headers.  Also, consider installed an X-pipe in stead of the H-pipe.  I wouldn't think the JBA H-pipe will bolt to your Hedman headers.

It was originally thought the X-pipe would produce more hp.  Some testing shows that the difference is small.  I run an X-pipe and I will say the exhaust note is much different.  Especially at idle the exhaust note is more mellow.  If you have some type of performance cam it will sound more mild at idle with an X-pipe as opposed to an H-pipe.  When X-pipes were first introduced the theory was the tubing for the X section should be the next size larger than the rest of the exhaust.  I.E. 2-1/2" diameter exhaust would have a 3" diameter X.  That's how mine is set up but I don't that that theory holds true today.

Straight Exhaust vs. H Pipe vs. X Pipe! Engine Masters Ep. 22 - Bing video 

Mike, I got a kit from Pypes that was a 2-1/2"  header back system with an x-pipe with no mufflers.   Mike (Latoracing) from the forum fabricated the exhaust using some Magnaflow mufflers I wanted to use.  So, the X-Pipe is already prefabricated.  We had plenty of pipe to get it done all the way to going out though the valence, which is a '66 GT trick, but looks cool.

Credit to Mike for the artwork that is now my exhaust system.  Incredible.

Pypes kit is # SFM03 designed for our generation Mustangs.    

IMG_4803.JPG

under car.jpg

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5971.JPG

IMG_1568.thumb.jpg.f07357fa1c0b1e67e6ebc2a02dfef8eb.jpg

IMG_1567.thumb.jpg.236fb82e825247938e1a47f1d254d6c2.jpg

IMG_1558.thumb.jpg.aef3a31836a8a48e88ef219b7613ee81.jpg

Vic I know this is an old thread but I finally got the garage set up & I am ready to get back to work on the Mustang looking at your pics you stated you used a 2 1/2" header back system from Pypes. I have a system I purchased to put on the Mustang that includes tail pipes, turbo mufflers, & intermediate pipes, I just need an h pipe.

100_1932.thumb.JPG.c7f5e643360272a2a068fb3db48169d5.JPG

Hey Mike.  Garage looks great!

I used an X-Pipe from Pypes kit  # SFM03.  It was a 2-1/2" Cat Back SS kit.

You can probably have your muffler shop make a H-Pipe.   I think I did this because I have a C-6, and with the Convertible support plate in that area, the X-Pipe had the best footprint.   

The "old school" way of finding the right spot for the H-Pipe used to be to use some cheap spray paint on the pipe section just downstream of the headers, then run the car for like 10 minutes.  Where the paint burns off, that is where you locate the cross over pipe.   I also think you can use some type of steel marking crayon, and see where it melts......