rwcstang

wilwood brakes or SOT Brakes

Hey everyone!

Happy Easter | Good Friday!

anyone have any experience with Wilwood or SOT 4 piston or 6 piston front brakes? how was the install? are you happy with the braking performance? did you stick with the stock wheel studs are went with ARP long wheel studs?

Im jumping between both Wilwood and street or track front disc conversation. 

I installed Willwoods base disc brakes last year.  Soooo much better than my old drum drum.  Easy to install the brakes.  Only difficult part was using a GM proportioning valve.  I only had a distribution block but added the GM valve.   Had to replum the lines around the master cylinder.  Good balance in the brakes and good stopping distance.  

I currently have front and rear Vintage Venom 13" Cobra drilled/slotted Brakes with a midland vacuum booster. 

my 408w is currently being built with more power, so I wanted feedback on these kits if it makes sense to upgrade or keep the original front brake setup and change the pads.

the car will be street driven and I have taken the car to some auto cross events, but I do see some limitations with the current brakes.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I'm using 2014 Brembo Mustang 4 piston take offs and love them. The calipers were only $350 on Ebay. Mustang Steve has brackets for Brembos. 

Hey RPM,

any chance you can provide photos of how the brake set up is mounted and plumbed? any install issues or modifications? 

When I went to the 13 inch Cobras my home fabbed brackets  were modeled after Mustang Steve's. When my brother sent me pics of 14.2" front rotors I lost my mind and bought thr Brembos. I reused the bracket that bolts to the spindle, and made the caliper bracket from half inch thick 6061-T6 aluminium, after making a template from MDF.

20210408_173848.thumb.jpg.2aec53a5eca66df7ebbca4df81cbc186.jpg20210408_173906.thumb.jpg.a2a92b75e41df6aba6f03bda16e4e4e8.jpg20210408_173939.thumb.jpg.359e98964fa27719d4f2aaa1019b0599.jpg

For those looking into DIY Brembo's, the Cadillac ATS calipers are $125 new with no core charge from RockAuto and are much cheaper than the Mustang version (double the price).  They do have Cadillac print on them so you'd want to paint them. Unlike the Mustang Brembos, the Caddilac ones are made for 13" rotors so the arch of the pads work better than the Mustang ones on smaller diameter rotors. I'm currently working on brackets very similar to RPM's to use them on the 13.2" mustang GT rotors, as I have 17" rims so I can't have 14" rotors like RPM.

I started out with Wilwood Superlite calipers to adapt to the 13.2" Mustang GT rotors, but the pads were too small and only covered a bit under 3/4" of the rotor. I then found the Cadillac Brembos which the pads match perfectly..

On 4/10/2021 at 12:33 AM, RPM said:

Which year Caddy ATS?

2013-2018 ATS.  Rock Auto doesn't have a core charge for those and they are brand new, whereas other more popular ones like Mustang require cores. 

The CTS has a different caliper for a larger rotor and won't work well with the smaller 13" rotors. I got my brackets roughed in yesterday and am making adjustments to my CAD file.  I'll start a new post on this once I get things wrapped up.

On 4/9/2021 at 7:03 AM, buening said:

For those looking into DIY Brembo's, the Cadillac ATS calipers are $125 new with no core charge from RockAuto and are much cheaper than the Mustang version (double the price).  They do have Cadillac print on them so you'd want to paint them. Unlike the Mustang Brembos, the Caddilac ones are made for 13" rotors so the arch of the pads work better than the Mustang ones on smaller diameter rotors. I'm currently working on brackets very similar to RPM's to use them on the 13.2" mustang GT rotors, as I have 17" rims so I can't have 14" rotors like RPM.

I started out with Wilwood Superlite calipers to adapt to the 13.2" Mustang GT rotors, but the pads were too small and only covered a bit under 3/4" of the rotor. I then found the Cadillac Brembos which the pads match perfectly..

your right there is no core charge, Im wondering if these calipers will fit my vintage venom brackets 99-03 brake kit.  

looking at RPM's Brembo Mustang Steve kit is looking real nice, so looks like im between this or the ATS Caliper you recommended. 

Im also on the fence on purchasing these but not sure if the mounting holes would be the same: https://lmr.com/item/M2300X/1996-04-Mustang-2000-Cobra-R-Front-Brake-Rotor-Kit

Wilwood usually has excellent drawings with measurements on their site. 

Adding to the sticker shock of that kit, it doesn't include brackets as it's intended to upgrade a 94-04 Mustang. 

On 4/15/2021 at 4:31 PM, RPM said:

Wilwood usually has excellent drawings with measurements on their site. 

Adding to the sticker shock of that kit, it doesn't include brackets as it's intended to upgrade a 94-04 Mustang. 

Thanks RPM,

After looking at all the options, I was between SOT or Mustang Steve KIT, so I decided its best to stay with the OEM stuff. I wanted to pull the trigger for 14" Brembo adapter kit with Mustang Steve but I like how the 13"s rotors fit with my car. maybe down the line ill buy and upgrade to 14" brake kit but felt the 13" brake kit was sufficient in what I wanted to do with the car.

since wheel Clearance is a huge issue when going with 4-6 piston calipers I decided to do some digging and found 2000 cobra r calipers might be the one, only a few places carry the kit and Ford Of Europe still sells them.

after reading this link: http://www.terminator-cobra.com/brakes & wheels.htm and reaching out to a few owners on a few new edge forums who have this kit, the mount points are the same as the PBR Cobra calipers and retains the 13" rotor which is the mach/cobra rotors.

The Vintage Venom Kit I have has the same mount points as the new edge and same rotor size, so it stays within the OEM specs. so hoping this should be an easy swap or I would need to create a  new set of brackets like you created.

only difference between mustang steves kit, is my kit has spacer that rides between the rotor hat and hub to accommodate the new edge track width and requires me to run 99-04 wheels so this helps me keep the fr500s.

Currently bought a set of Cobra r Calipers from LMR and should be here within a few days. will update soon and possibly create a new thread on this install.