Dreamforge

69 Convertible Headroom and being 6'6"

I know classic stangs may be a bit light on headroom and that concerns me as a 6'6" person. I'm quite used to having to try on vehicles. Does anyone know if the convertible models have more or less headroom than the hardtops?

Cheers,

-M

As the windshield is the same between a coupe and convertible, I would guess the headroom is the same.  The only gain in headroom would  come from the fact that there is no headliner in a convertible.   So I would guess you have maybe an inch more in a vert. 

I know others facing this issue have moved the seat back further and lower. 

Hello Mr M' and welcome

I find the headroom challenging and I'm "only"  6' 2"

What hurt me "literately" was when I had the original 30 year old at the time, seat cushions reupholstered. I climbed in my car like I always do and because of the change in the seat cushion height, I banged the side of my head on the top frame so hard I was seeing stars, so seat height is a critical factor and can vary depending on the cars condition.

They now make seat mounts that lower the whole track, I used a simple hand built fixed mount before these were available.

I am sitting somewhat in the originally designated back seat area, and am quite comfortable, after the modifications. 

By all means try to get a few rides in some cars of this age, maybe a local club.

If you put the top down (is down in the stowed position or in the upright position so it covers the interior?  I've never figured out what top up or top down represents), your headroom becomes almost unlimited.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:43 PM, Midlife said:

If you put the top down (is down in the stowed position or in the upright position so it covers the interior?  I've never figured out what top up or top down represents), your headroom becomes almost unlimited.

How illuminating Mid!

I'm 6'5 using Fiero seats with bracket adapters I made. If I recall correctly, I moved the seat back roughly 2", pretty much as far as I could go with the Fiero seats. Definitely no room for a passenger behind me.

The seats themselves sit quite lower than the factory buckets. Something to keep in mind is that the steering wheel gets further away when you do this, and with a standard column you might need to extend the column with a spacer etc. 

I moved my risers back 5" and used Mustangs to Fear seats. They sit lower than anything on the market and are comfortable. I am 6'7" and have head room. Also, though not for you specifically, the MtF headliner provides 2" of headroom.

If you want to keep stock seats you can reduce the height of the lower seat frame and adapt the seat back a little.

adapting the seat back a little was  a factory ford fix without modifying the car, cutting down the seat frame is something I have done to several cars to help tall people