Sign in to follow this  
Kris

How to retread convertible trim studs

So I had my rear convertible top trim rechromed and some of the studs now have chrome on them and the nuts won’t go on now. I can’t run a die on them as the ones I have are to large and hit the lip of there trim. I tried a thread file but I still can’t get to part of the stud because of the little notches that stick up to hold the foam seals around the studs. Do any of you guys have any advise as to how to fix this? I thought about taping everything up crazy good and trying to blast just the studs in my media blaster but I don’t want to take a chance of messing up the fresh chrome. 

8EFB401E-6595-48EA-A3F7-75B30F170EFB.jpeg

64DD0019-648F-4DAA-B38F-5AEE66E03685.jpeg

This is what I would do; get some nuts with the correct thread. Then use a small file and make channels inside them like a die would have (basically make a die out of the nut). Then use it as a tap. As the nuts are smaller than a die, they will not hit the sides of the channels.

I was able to get them all fixed. Took my dremel with a tiny wire brush and it cleaned up most of it. Then took the thread file to clean up the top few threads on a few that the nut wouldn’t start. Ran a new nut down on them back and forth with very little pressure and they all clean up. Thanks for the help.