Sign in to follow this  
SHELBY69

How many voltage regulators does a 69 Mustang have ?

I’ve been waiting for this part since last year. I’m getting pissed at the shop. I’m going to find the part on my own. Is there one for engine and another for dash ? Is the  Shelby part any different ? Thanks

Well, to be technically accurate, the pink resistor wire is also a voltage regulator.  In fact, it is a self-regulating current-choke in that the more current that passes through it, its resistance increases, which decreases the voltage and current passing through it.  A very clever device indeed.

12 hours ago, Midlife said:

Well, to be technically accurate, the pink resistor wire is also a voltage regulator.  In fact, it is a self-regulating current-choke in that the more current that passes through it, its resistance increases, which decreases the voltage and current passing through it.  A very clever device indeed.

PTC.. Positive Temperature Coefficient.... as more current flows through it, the temperature increases, and as the temp increases, the resistance increases.  But you probably know this.  We use them in electronics circuits all the time.  They are very common parts. 

17 hours ago, SHELBY69 said:

I’ve been waiting for this part since last year. I’m getting pissed at the shop. I’m going to find the part on my own. Is there one for engine and another for dash ? Is the  Shelby part any different ? Thanks

Shelby could have put their own name on one of the standard Bendix regulators, but that would be the only difference ( if one exists).  You can use any standard voltage regulator.  If you have a concours Shelby, the auto shop could be waiting on an original Ford regulator?

You should be able to pickup a solid state regulator at any auto parts store. If you need it to look original you may order a new cover or use your old one. The another alternative are these solid state with new cover. Note the without ac is out of stock until April.:

With AC:

https://www.deadnutson.com/1968-4-1970-autolite-voltage-regulator-55-amp/

Without AC:

https://www.deadnutson.com/1968-4-1970-autolite-voltage-regulator-38-42-amp/

It looks like the concours correct look-alikes are backordered everywhere but looking at NAPA, Rock Auto, and Advance Auto they all list replacements in stock. They won't look correct but should work until you can locate a correct one. You might try your favorite local auto parts store.