TexasEd

New headers on the way

Pretty excited to get these new headers in

https://www.npdlink.com/product/header-shorty-jba/107082?year=1969

I've been driving around with an exhaust leak at the manifolds for a couple years and my daughters do not appreciate smelling like exhaust.  Big $ purchase but excited to get them in and get rid of the exhaust smell in the interior.

33 minutes ago, rmarks said:

Direct fit?  Did you install new exhaust as well?  If so, what kind?

Should be direct fit for my stock 302.  I don't have them in hand yet (shipping from NPD) but the plan is to get them installed and take it up to a muffler shop and tie it into my existing exhaust.  If it is too loud with the combo of the new headers and old mufflers then I'll look around.  A friend has Dynomax Superturbos on his 65 with an 80s 5.0L conversion.  I like the sound of that car, rumbles but not deafening.

I need to figure out the gasket situation.  I've seen conflicting info to go with no gasket, get a thick paper gasket, or go with a copper/aluminum.

Advise?

Working on the old exhaust manifold bolts and the driver's side came loose with a little elbow grease.  The bolts on the passenger side are loose but the three studs (2 in front and 1 in back) are, shocker, stuck.  I don't want to remove the engine so I am going to try and heat the manifold with a torch and see if that will free the bolt.  I'll have one of my kids standing by with the extinguisher.

On 3/26/2021 at 9:34 AM, staffy said:

They look great, be interested to know how well  they fit, any mods etc needed 

Fitment was great.  I had to pass the drivers side up from under the car because of the brake booster being in the way and you have to tighten spark plugs 7&8 with a wrench attached to the spark plug socket but other than that it was easy.

5EBCA2FD-DA7E-44F0-914B-BE0E1125E93B.jpeg

72F47E68-F269-453C-82A3-70850F1F89BE.jpeg

On 4/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, TexasEd said:

Fitment was great.  I had to pass the drivers side up from under the car because of the brake booster being in the way and you have to tighten spark plugs 7&8 with a wrench attached to the spark plug socket but other than that it was easy.

5EBCA2FD-DA7E-44F0-914B-BE0E1125E93B.jpeg

72F47E68-F269-453C-82A3-70850F1F89BE.jpeg

Thanks for the reply