SHELBY69

Where to find solenoids ?

1 hour ago, Midlife said:

You can also find good ones at junk yards specializing in older cars.  Rarely are these removed by scavengers. 

While talking about solenoids, what is different on the solenoid for a 64.5 with "generator" if there is a difference? Most vendors show different solenoid part numbers for cars with generator versus alternator and they list alternator as they can use the solenoid for generator cars, but for generator cars they do not show other solenoids as alternate. For example rockauto shows only one solenoid for 64.5 but 6 different ones for 69 and one of them is the one listed for 64.5.

There's very little difference between solenoids.  The concours crowd has brown ones for very early Mustangs (now being discredited).  The changes are very subtle and are probably not noticeable by the their performance, as far as I know.  I suspect the later ones are somewhat more reliable, or maybe that was the intent. 

<<<speculation on my part...

2 hours ago, Midlife said:

There's very little difference between solenoids.  The concours crowd has brown ones for very early Mustangs (now being discredited).  The changes are very subtle and are probably not noticeable by the their performance, as far as I know.  I suspect the later ones are somewhat more reliable, or maybe that was the intent. 

<<<speculation on my part...

Randy, this is not a concourse car, he is not worried about color etc and just needs one to replace his failed one. So the available Motorcraft ones eventhough they are not listed for cars with generators will work on his car with generator and not cause a problems like melting wiring etc; am I correct?

4 hours ago, Midlife said:

I've posted in the concours Mustang forum.  If anyone knows of a unique 64.5 starter solenoid application, they would.

Thanks Randy, as I stated before, he is not worried about concours etc; just worried about functioning right without causing any issues.

24 minutes ago, Midlife said:

The replies on the concours site suggest that there is no unique starter solenoid for 64.5, although the body was brown for that year.  No reason to think another starter solenoid wouldn't work.

Thanks Randy.