Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

Stroker 408/427 and AFR 205 vs 220 Raised exhaust port question.

So I decided to build a new Stroker with a Dart SHP Block, potentially converts the block to a 427w setup, Ive read there is no difference between the 408/427 other this the piston design. What would be your recommendations on which heads work best the AFR 205/220 head?

Of Course, the car will mainly be street and run on pump gas and would love it to be ready for track use (i.e RR, AutoX) run on pump gas, the initial goal is to be around 480-500hp with 480tq+, I will be reusing the following parts for now:

• 750 Holley Carb
  • Weind Stealth (probaly the biggest intake restriction)
  • Heddman 1 3/4 ceramic headers longtubes w/ 3" collector (also possible exhaust flow restriction) 
  • Stock PS / Steering Box
  • Lakewood bell housing
  • Magnaflow 2.5 exhaust (xpipe)
  • Ext. Clutch Slave from MDL
  • TKO600 w/ 3:55 gears

Also, anyone running AFR 205 or 220 Heads with 1 3/4 header in their their 408/427w stroker? I've read that both exhaust ports are slightly raised, (220 being raises slightly higher for better airflow)

Wondering if the raised exhaust ports could potentially touch anything or would need to make custom headers or Modify.

I have AFR205's on my 418w.  The ports are raised very little, no header interference with FPA 1.75 full length headers in my 70.  Also I have stock motor mount height. Regarding the intake manifold,  I had my performer RPM ported and flow balanced, really noticeable performance and sound difference.  

I have the AFR205'S as well along with the FPA headers and like Alan everything fits at stock mount height. I went with the Stealth intake with the middle divider blended down and a custom cam and convertor. It makes more power than I need for sure but I don't know if it would hit the HP goals you stated, never had it on a dyno. 

The exhaust port on the 220 will be restricted ...the ports are really wide...with 1 3/4 headers I would do the 205s...my opinion...the 220s need 2" primary's...you can make it work if you can fab some headers...I bought 2" headers for mine and they are a pain to work with...

Thanks all,

I was going to move forward with the the 427w stroker by going with SHP Dart Block but seems Dart discontinued it as they moving forward with a new version called the Iron Eagle but this will take a few months to get due to pre-orders. So I decided to rebuild my current block and go with a 408w w/ AFR 205s

Hi @Alan_Mac & @Phils69

would you happen to take a pic of your FPA header clearance? on the driver side? would to see how they fit. Looks like headers are on my next purchase list and want something more clean.

read many good things about FPA was wondering whats the price range on your headers? and was it easy access to the spark plugs or did you have to remove the headers from the cylinder heads to access the spark plugs?

Thank you!

I can't help with the clearance pic right now, the engine is out of the car at the moment. I bought my headers a long time ago so I am sure the price would not be relevant any more. Should be on their website?

3 hours ago, Phils69 said:

I can't help with the clearance pic right now, the engine is out of the car at the moment. I bought my headers a long time ago so I am sure the price would not be relevant any more. Should be on their website?

No worries Phil! would you be able to provide a photo of the header? just curious on how it looks. 

Also, no prices from the site had to call but no answer, will try again tomorrow.