J's69Mach1

Thoughts on the New TKX

With those, even the close ratio versions have a fairly low first gear ratio.  My thoughts with using a close ratio top loader 4sp in my Mach 1, I'd select one of the middle two close ratio versions and use something like a 3.50 or 3.70 rear axle ratio.  The overdrive ratio will depend on how you want to drive on the freeway.

What is the rest of your setup, motor, gearing etc?  Like 1969_Mach1 said, OD is how you want to drive, but I would think also on your setup.  I have the standard TK600 similar to the 17765 with the lower OD gear.  But I am mainly a highway cruiser and with a big block, plenty of low end grunt if I need to get things moving.  

On 2/23/2021 at 10:37 AM, EastYorkStang said:

I'd pick the 17765. First and second are closer together not allowing much of a bog when shifting. Better Overdrive ratio as well.

Same but how would it work with a 3.50 rear

I would use either of the 2.87 gear trannies because they have a numerically lower first gear, so it is actually usable because you can go faster than 6 mph before you have to shift. A 3.27 or or numerically higher first gear is good for steep hill climbing or a lame V8 or even lamer 6 cylinder engine.

T5 Z SPEC . . . . 2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00, 0.63

TKX . . . . . . . . . .2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, .068

High first gear every day. Unless you're running a 2.75 gear you'd be lucky to get to 6 mph before you started bouncing off the limiter with the lower first. And then the thing will fall off the cam into 2nd.

I went with the 0.81 5th in my TKO600 as I don't see me doing a road trip in it. And if I do, I'll make sure my credit card is empty so I can gas it up each little town.