Wheel size and offset questions

So this is the year, I’m finally getting new wheels and tires!!  for the sake of ride comfort I’m leaning towards a 17 by 7.5 or 8” those of you running a square set up, what offset did you end up using?

though I agree, going larger wheels tends not to help with ride comfort unless you have larger brakes/upgraded suspension like myself, choosing a nice brand, side wall (Series) tire can at least help. Of course, I also recommend upgrading your stock suspension (i.e Shocks, strut rods) 

Long ago, when I had stock suspension and Granada Disc/drum brakes, I had AR TTs 17x8 on all fours with 245/45 tires. the car wasn't lowered, so drivability was good, but not great. when I lowered the front I began to have crazy bumpsteer and was definitely feeling the road and occasionally have some rubbing when turning. 

if you are keeping your stock suspension I highly recommend upgrading at least strut rods, shocks and and convert to a spring roller perch. this makes your suspension drive like a dream and some owners on here have this.  

I high recommend, Street or track strud rods, bilstein street shocks and open tracker suspension.

a 15" wheel tire combo on a stock suspension is not bad at all, thats what these cars came with and was meant for. if you are going with the restomod/protouring look, be prepared to go into a deep dive which will teach/show you there are other parts at play when it comes to drivability and comfort. 

I'm not sure what maximum backspace you can use, but 4-1/2 to 4-3/4" rings a bell. 

Terry is correct concerning ride comfort. It all depends on what your intended purpose is for your car. For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction. Going to even a 45 series sidewall you'll feel all those road irregularities. 

Thanks for the all input!

A little more background on my car is in order. Car is lowered, I’m running a mid eye in the back and a slightly heavier spring in front, the # eludes me at the moment, strut rods are stock with a harder rubber bushing, not poly. Outer tie rods are swapped to the TCP bump steer kit, the shocks are RCDs on all 4 corners UCA and LCA are grab a track. Currently I’m running vintage 14x8 ET X  wheels but I want something a little different. This will likely be a weekend warrior with spirited winding drives.

That's interesting information in the Bilstein video that I'd not seen. I wasn't aware that the gas pressure is used to prevent cavitation in the oil. It sounds like a modified hydraulic shock to me.

Eaton Detroit Springs has been in the spring business since the early 1900s and they say our cars were designed for hydraulic, not gas shocks, and will handle better on something like a hydraulic Viking or QA1. 

This is from a google search of the differences: The shocks absorb the energy of each jostle and dissipate it in the form of heat, reducing the amount of bounce in your ride. ... Gas charged shocks are optimal for high speed driving, as there is no risk of aeration (air mixing with the fluid, causing foam and decreasing performance) like there is with hydraulic shocks.

Bilstein does say they were developed for off road racing, and I'm sure not going to be doing any Dukes of Hazzard jumps. Makes me wonder how a Viking would compare to a Bilstein. Is anyone aware?

On 2/12/2021 at 11:50 AM, TexasEd said:

IMG_1369.thumb.jpg.57084616e31b1c1d21b45a49be751f44.jpg

I think it rides great with 15".  My suspension is very stiff and if I had 17" wheels I don't think I would like the extra jolt of manhole covers or other road imperfections.

Looks good. What are your suspension mods? Tire size and offset?

5 hours ago, Len69Coupe said:

Looks good. What are your suspension mods? Tire size and offset?

Magnum 500 wheels 15x7 in Front and 15x8 in rear from Summit (best price at the time)

Cooper Cobra Tires are '235/60x15 in front and 245/60x15 in rear from Discount

Front Disc kit from CSRP

Rebuilt power steering from Chocko

Suspension package from OpenTracker (I did the UCA drop and used the updated alignment specs)

• 1" drop template
  • 1/4" Poly coil spring insulators
  • 560 1" drop coil springs
  • 1 1/8" front sway bar kit
  • Roller spring perches
  • Standard Upper arms
  • Standard Lower arms
  • Strut rod bushings
  • Steering kit with roller idler arm for P/S
  • KYB Front shocks
  • Grab-A-Track rear shocks
  • Black export brace (not installed)
  • Black Monte Carlo bar .. curved
  • Camber kit (not used)
  • 4.5 Mid eye 1" drop leaf springs with new U-Bolt, front eye bolt and rear shackle kit

20140703_213403_zpsgxxru5zc.jpg

44 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Magnum 500 wheels 15x7 in Front and 15x8 in rear from Summit (best price at the time)

Cooper Cobra Tires are '235/60x15 in front and 245/60x15 in rear from Discount

Front Disc kit from CSRP

Rebuilt power steering from Chocko

Suspension package from OpenTracker (I did the UCA drop and used the updated alignment specs)

• 1" drop template
  • 1/4" Poly coil spring insulators
  • 560 1" drop coil springs
  • 1 1/8" front sway bar kit
  • Roller spring perches
  • Standard Upper arms
  • Standard Lower arms
  • Strut rod bushings
  • Steering kit with roller idler arm for P/S
  • KYB Front shocks
  • Grab-A-Track rear shocks
  • Black export brace (not installed)
  • Black Monte Carlo bar .. curved
  • Camber kit (not used)
  • 4.5 Mid eye 1" drop leaf springs with new U-Bolt, front eye bolt and rear shackle kit

20140703_213403_zpsgxxru5zc.jpg

Where do these go?

20210225_102800.jpg.efb02f7f8425b90e1d24c0a12e554885.jpg