Vicfreg

1970 Convertible Restoration

It is looking very good Vic. Why is the front bumper black & the rear bumper body color, wouldn't it look better with the front bumper body color? Looks like you 70 has 69 Quarter panels. I thought the70 quarter panels were smooth without the horizontal ridge. I had (many years ago) a 70 Coupe & the panels were smooth, & I am on my 2nd 69 Coupe & they both have the horizontal ridge like yours.

100_0532.thumb.jpg.404be96f43b55c6cee21899874a2457f.jpg

Hi Mike

This is just a result of my design theme for the car. So, personal preference

The black front  bumper is intentional, as I wanted a blacked out front end, so my bumper, billet grill, and all of the headlight and hood trim is satin black powdercoat.

I also did not want any chrome or brightwork below the window line.  So you see my mirrors, door handles and lock cylinders are also black. 
But, I did not want a black rear bumper, so did that body color.  

Your observation on the rear quarters is interesting. Great question.   I don’t see many ‘69 or ‘70 coupes/convertibles at car shows, so will need to do some research on that.

My sheet metal is original, except for the hood and trunk lid.   My car was built in November of 1969 at the Dearborn plant.  So, maybe it does have left over ‘69 rear quarter panels.  I also removed the front and rear side marker lights, so it does look much different than stock.  And, no emblems, letters, or rocker panel trim on the car.

Vic

I'm seeing pics of 70 verts both smooth and with the line behind the wheel opening. The smooth version looks to have a shorter line from the B pillar aft.

Yeah, I was just actually looking at some pictures on line and I see that.

I was also wondering about the rear quarter panel extensions… they should be different because of the tail light panel differences between 1969 and 1970.?

This is an old photo, before the marker light hole was welded:filled in. You can see how that quarter panel line extends into the fender extension.

I thought the 1970 fender extensions were different, because of the flat panel, and also that the 1970 tail light Bezel is outside the trunk takes up a lot of room near where the fender extension is.

So not sure how they mixed and matched these at the factory during early ‘70 production. I wonder if the smooth quarter panel 1970s have a different fender extension. Great question by Mike…

IMG_2446.jpeg

Comparing it to Mike’s picture, the rear quarter and extension book identical, except for the larger side marker light hole on the 1970. Very interesting.

There is actually two different quarters used on the 70 some used the 69 type but most will have the true 70 . The end caps do not exchange between the two ,i dont believe the early 70 panel used the side scoop but i cant remember for sure 

70 vert quarter panels and quarter extensions are different that 69 coupe, 69 vert and 70 coupe quarter panels and quarter extensions. Vic's quarter panel and quarter extension is correct for a 70 vert. 70 vert quarters and quarter extensions have the body line behind the wheel (like 69 vert and coupe quarter panel and extension), 70 coupes have smooth quarter (without body line) and matching quarter extension. 69 vert quarter panel and quarter extension is same as 69 coupe quarter panel and quarter extension with the recess for the molding in front of the wheel on the quarter panel; 70 vert and coupe quarters do not have the recess for the molding in front of the wheel. 70 coupe quarter panels are not reproduced, they sell the 70 vert repro quarters as 70 coupe quarters (which is not the same).

Hey Ersin.  I figured you would know this...  It is interesting that the '70 Coupes and Convertibles have different rear quarter panels. I always assumed somehow the Convertibles used the Coupe rear quarters and they were modified.  I will have to keep my eyes open next time I am at a car show.

Vic